cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

need help with understanding rights to cancelling contracts when upgrading internet

Go to solution

got a contract that ends in september 2023, i want to upgrade to gigabit inter, the full fibre 900 etc, but minimum contract is 2 years, and having a swedish fiance i could be trying to emigrate to sweden mid 2023 or early 2024, bt likes to write long winded terms and conditions to keep customers trapped into paying and themselves protected legally without being much help to simply it for you, is it possible to contact them and get shorter contracts or can someone help explain with cancelling options if i were to start a long contract please and thankyou, 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: need help with understanding rights to cancelling contracts when upgrading internet

Go to solution

All BT contracts are for 2 years, any early termination from that will incur penalty charges on a sliding scale. The closer to the start of the contract, the higher the charges.

Message 3 of 5

Re: need help with understanding rights to cancelling contracts when upgrading internet

Go to solution

thats recently in the last few years as i used to get 1 year contracts with them only 5-10 years ago, contracts normally come with a right to cancel in a certain time, or does bt make you wave your rights to that so you cant cancel until contract end without a lump sum charge 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

BT moved to two year contracts for broadband around three years ago IIRC. There are no alternative contract lengths any more.

Most if not all ISPs have a 14 day cancellation period from start of service. After which you are tied into the term unless you pay an early exit fee. BT aren't making you waive any rights, they are industry standard T&Cs that you accepted when you signed up.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

that's unfortunate , thats around the time i went to other isp's due to bt trying to get a double payment from me claiming i had not paid, it's also unfortunate sky/ee/everyone except virgin uses bt lines , so im stuck with the thieves, but ok thank you

0 Ratings