cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

2SA does not remember devices

I have given up on 2SA as I cannot make it remember any devices it has been set up on.  I follow the process and give the device a name but next time I try and log in it has forgotten it.  This means I need to go through the whole rigmarole of signing in again instead of using Face/Finger Recognition.  This needs to be sorted by BT to make this usable.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: 2SA does not remember devices

What App and what device?

I use MyBT and BT Wifi on iPhone and iPad with 2SA no problems.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

MyBT on iPhone and iPad.  I set it up and give the devices names, which show in the devices under 2SA. When I click on the App again I am asked to go through all the log in stuff as if it has never been set up. I have tried several times and now given up and disabled 2SA. I also have the same problem on my Desktop PC using Google Chrome. Perhaps it is just me, so any hints and tips would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Do you have the devices set up to use randomized MAC addresses?  Because that'll do it!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 5 of 9

I looked into this and saw that I can disable Private Address in wi-fi settings but it was suggested this will make the device less secure. Also other Apps that use these features such as Banking, which relies on identifying the device, are not phased by randomized MAC addresses, just BT. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

The MAC address is different to your IP (for the pedantic in here, yes I know IPv6 predictive addresses...).  So when you communicate to your bank, it's not your MAC address it is using to identify you, so the two scenarios are not really the same.  If you are using a randomised MAC address and your computer doesn't remember your device because of that, then the random MAC is doing exactly what it's supposed to do!

Message 7 of 9

Now you are way over my head in terms of technology. Is there a simple way of using 2SA with BT to protect my account there, which does not endanger my devices in other ways?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Apple love scaring people. Just turn off Mac randomisation, it doesn't improve security it only improves privacy. The 2 things are not the same.

Message 9 of 9

If your bank offers Two Factor Authentication (2FA hate that acronym) then use that.  Don't trust sites that don't use HTTPS with your personal details, and if you get a message from your bank, then connect by entering the web address manually, don't use links from any messages as these can be spoofed (the underlying link address may not be what you see in the text.

There's nothing the router can do itself to verify that you are who you say are.  MAC addresses can be spoofed, and the IP addresses of your router and attached are subject to change (usually).

0 Ratings