cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Access Controls not available via VPN access

I use the Smart Hub Access Controls to restrict the internet access of devices on my home network. Away from home I use a VPN to connect to my home network. When I am away from home I want to use the BT App to change the Access Controls.  The problem is that when I get to the menu item Your Wi-Fi Network (under … More) I get the message “VPN detected. It looks like your device is connected to a VPN.  This could prevent the app from communicating with your wi-fi discs.  Please check your VPN settings and try again. ”.  Generally access to my home network through the VPN is as good as being locally connected, but not for this function of the BT App. Has anyone any idea how I get the App to work with the VPN or perhaps how I could use a Browser function to change Access Controls. If I use a Browser to access the Smart Hub through the VPN I can see the Controls but I cannot change them. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Access Controls not available via VPN access

Looking at other comments on this forum I conclude that this is yet another problem created by the decision to put the access control functionality in the MyBT app and remove it from the Smart hub GUI.  I am all for using an using apps with all their ease of use benefits but I struggle to understand why the ability to manipulate access controls is not available in the hub GUI.  As I understand it the Smart Hub actually operates the access controls, it is the interface that has been hidden. 

So you must have a smart phone to operate BT Broadband?  I don't recall that in the advertising. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

How are you accessing the hub GUI remotely? As far as I'm aware the hub isn't accessible remotely.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Coming into the local network through a VPN server running on the local network. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Is there another machine on your home network that you can remotely control via vpn and that could control the hub settings locally?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@countrypaul wrote:

Is there another machine on your home network that you can remotely control via vpn and that could control the hub settings locally?

Accessing the hub isn't the problem. The controls are only available via the app.

0 Ratings