cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

BT Cloud App no longer loads on Windows 10

I've been using the cloud app for years and it's suddenly stopped working.

I click on the app and the app then starts to load and then just closes for no reason.

I tried to remove the app and then re-install it.

I'm on version 21.12.15

Any ideas anyone ? My iphone cloud app works fine still.

I'm gradually building up non-backed-up data on my PC 😞

Thanks

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Cloud App no longer loads on Windows 10

I sympathise.
I was using BTcloud satisfactorily until December 2019, but after a hiaitus it started working again, but perversely.

I was excitedly told that the problems had been resolved and V21.12.15 had been released and my problems were over.

I was given a link to download it, and I went to install it on my desktop and laptop. I was told that the zip files would install automatically and run BTcloud in the background. As you would expect, I had to extract them and run them. On the desktop, after installation and setting it to run, Process explorer showed that the process had grabbed memory, but was using no processor time - just sits there doing nothing.

On the laptop, it did ask me to log in, and then it set off synchronising. In the interim, I'd use One Drive to transfer files I needed to get onto the laptop, so there was basically one area where the laptop is the prime mover. It has a folder with files for my webpage where the change over the last few months has been the addition of 2 new files and editing of 2 others. Synchronisation was put in motion, and completed. What I would have expected is that the 2 new files would be copied to the cloud, as well as the new versions of the edited files. That's what used to happen, over 2 years ago.  Can you guess what actually happened?

The new files were not copied to the cloud

The old versions of the edited files were copied back from the cloud as the prime versions, the edited versions renamed with the apothet '(henry - conflicted copy 2022-05-18 11.29.24+01).htm'  (different time for the other).

Basically, BTcloud sees the version in the cloud as the correct version, the edited version as an aberation.

That's the problem I've been trying to get resolved for the last 2 years.  Someone's confusing their > and < signs!!!

As for the BTcloud Support Team, the title is a joke. They usually send a text message to warn that they are going to call (on the mobile).  No time to prepare, the call comes seconds later. And if the customer is slightly ham-fisted and the call somehow does not get through you get a text message that they'll try again tomorrow. In practice, probably the day after tomorrow. Why not try again after 1 or 2 minutes, or try the landline? On Thursday I got a call when I was in the library, was told I'd get a call on Friday. I was in, ready at any time to drop everything to answer; no call came. On Sunday morning a call was attemped, while I was on a run. I failed to receive the call, and subsequently was sent one message giving the same link to the same duff version of BTcloud, and a (unhelpful) message saying

"Thanks for getting in touch with us recently. We're pleased we could help.

We've now closed your complaint. Your reference number is VOL013-5940322*****.

If you need to talk more about it, or you're not happy with how we handled it, please call the number -in the box below."

Unbelievably patronising, especially as it was not by mutual consent, but a unilateral decision.

No. You did not help. You did not resolve the problem. You bet, I'll be back to the poor goffer on the phone number.

So, for customer service, what would I give the BTcloud Support Team?  Nul point, of course.  Hopeless, intrinsically unhelpful, with a system designed not to give support. You need to get your act together!

Same goes for the incompetent gurus who are doubtless being overpaid to fail to get BTcloud working as it did 2 years ago!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Just to clarify, I have a similar problem on my desktop.

When I installed V21.12.15 on my laptop, when it first ran a box popped up on my browser to log in. I did so and it worked (albeit incorrectly).

With the desktop, it would load but did not offer the login screen, as far as I could see, despite looking for it.  I could see the instance on Process explorer, multiple instances if I clocked the BTcloud icon again, but with no activity - no CPU time consumed - and no icon in the taskbar, on the left or as a 'hidden icon'. I was able to log in to the BTcloud web page, but this does not seem to get the app running.  I tried closing the browser and restarting BTcloud, but it did not restart the browser, which I would expect if it tried to set up a login page.

@chris-leeds 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Thanks for the feedback. I checked Task Manager on my PC and found he BT Cloud app to be running in the background, though I still don't have a taskbar item for it. I can see from my browser access that new files aren't present in the cloud, so it's not backing up.

Not sure what to do now, maybe log a support call, though I've used BT support in the past and their communication is somewhat shambolic, as you state.

I use other cloud apps on my work macbook, including Google Drive and Dropbox. They operate flawlessly all the time.

I'm not sure why BT don't just scrap their cloud app and white-label a functional solution from another vendor cloud sync solution that is reliable and doesn't cause customers to waste their time troubleshooting it.

@henryfm

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Does Task Manager show BTcloud to be running, consuming significant CPU time, or just present, waiting around in the background, with the occasional 0.01% of CPU resources?

@chris-leeds 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

It's using:

0% CPU

9.3MB memory

Low and 0 for all the rest of the metrics

@henryfm 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Loaded and waiting for something, I guess. Possibly login info, but not asking for it....

@chris-leeds

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Thanks for the feedback. I tried another removal and installation earlier. No difference.

It seems to create multiple instances of the process every time I try to start it again. (out of desperation).

I might try booting in safe mode and see if I can fire it up.

@henryfm 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Can anyone tell me how to log a support call with BT. The support area of the website seems to have no link to Cloud App related issues.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

I got a call today for my extended problem and mentioned this, and that I wasn't the only one affected. One number you can try is 0800 111 4567. As you go through the options, don't laugh too loud when you get the message that BT takes customer satisfaction seriously (or words to that effect). Truly a joke, as you will know by now.

My main issue was that BT Cloud would not upload new files to the BT Cloud and overwrit updated files on the client with old versions on the repository. So I was happy that the BT Cloud app on my main computer was not working to corrupt my main computer!!!

Beware: The policy is that if for any reason you fail to answer your phone when they call back, your case could be closed. They say 3 attempts, but not all calls made by them are  sure to make it to your phone. They often send a text message ahead of calling a mobile number, which often arrives after their actual call!!! Should at least be 5 minutes in advance to let you prepare. I only see such messages 'cos they show on my watch - eventually.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings