cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 751 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud - Selective Download / Now over a month

I am still confused as to why they had to update from the previous one that worked.  If they wanted to sabotage their own service - they could not have done a better job than they have done so far.  

0 Ratings
Message 752 of 1,226

@stevedr56wrote:

I am still confused as to why they had to update from the previous one that worked.  If they wanted to sabotage their own service - they could not have done a better job than they have done so far.  

I think it is clear that they moved supply in-house. As they did for their Email system. This was probably a decision made at a senior level, with some assumption that building complex network apps would be simple - perhaps based on assumed access to software development capability in SE Asia. I do know that Covid locked down Indian developers and these found it difficult to work from home where there was insufficient domestic broadband structure to support them.  The change to both BT Cloud and BT Email service delivery was both precipitous and disastrous - but I don't think (a) it was intended or (b) that reversion to the old, working, systems was commercially possible.

0 Ratings
Message 753 of 1,226

@stevedr56wrote:

As I understand it, the contract they had with Synchronoss was coming to an end soon.

In February 2019, Synchronoss published the following press release:

BRIDGEWATER, N.J., Feb. 27, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Synchronoss Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ: SNCR), a global leader and innovator in cloud, messaging, digital and IoT products and platforms, today announced that it has renewed its agreement to power BT Cloud. BT Cloud is powered by the Synchronoss Personal Cloud platform and enhances BT’s free online security offering, the most comprehensive of any major UK broadband provider.

BT, a Synchronoss cloud services and storage partner since 2015, is the largest provider of consumer fixed-line voice and broadband services in the UK. BT Cloud gives customers secure backup and access to their photos, videos, contacts, files, music and messages from any device with an internet connection.

This contract renewal signifies a deepening relationship between Synchronoss and BT. The BT Cloud service has since become a powerful differentiator for BT as the only major UK broadband provider to offer customers a secure backup service.

BT management decided to bring the operation in house rather than negotiate a further extension of the contract with Synchronoss, having clearly and grossly underestimated the effort required to do so.  They would have done less harm to their reputation if they had simply announced, in adequate time, that the BTCloud feature was ending.

Given the current debacle, I expect there is now no possibility of re-opening negotiations with Synchronoss on the same commercial terms as previously.  So any option of returning to the previous version will have an increased cost, which would probably have to be borne by BT's customers.

Syncronoss execs must be laughing their heads off at the current BTCloud debacle.  🤣

0 Ratings
Message 754 of 1,226

Re: BTcloud

Using the bullet switch, have you asked to make All contents to available on this PC?

JTS1

With regard to your earlier comment, it was just a typo.  I am not familiar with the term "bullet switch" , but can guess what you mean and can confirm that it is on "Make all BT Cloud content available on this computer".

Strange things continue to happen. BT Cloud appears still not to be working. I continue  to receive the unexplained error message. The box that appears after clicking on the little white cloud still shows a red cloud in the top left corner. and clicking on Resume Syncing just produces the error message again.  However, the Recently Updated list now shows that a lot more items were updated 18 hours ago.

For information, being frustrated by this like many others, I sent an email to the BT Chief Executive complaining about the terrible way they are dealing with this issue. I have had a response from his PA saying that the Chief Executive is away from the office but he has asked her to refer the matter to their senior service team for investigation and response directly to me. I will let you know if I hear anything.

0 Ratings
Message 755 of 1,226

RKM

What I was told a BT rep was the existing contract stopped in December because the Company providing the Cloud Service had pulled out of the arrangement. Hence BT released their fault ridden Cloud system. The main point now is BT Customer Service is non existent when it comes to the Cloud provision. BT is a disgrace and fast becoming a joke!

0 Ratings
Message 756 of 1,226

Now we are getting to the heart of the matter.

BT appears to have been very foolish in dropping a major supplier without having a verified replacement, presumably thinking to save money.

Do you recall "to fail to plan, is planning to fail", and my favourite "Perfect Planning Prevents **bleep** Poor Performance".

We need to have a sitrep from BT!

0 Ratings
Message 757 of 1,226

@jamieandangelawrote: What I was told a BT rep was the existing contract stopped in December because the Company providing the Cloud Service had pulled out of the arrangement. 

What we know from public documents is that the Company providing the Cloud Service was Synchronoss and that they last extended their existing agreement with BT at the end of Feb 2019.

We don't know how long that extension was scheduled to run for, however I very much doubt that Synchronoss would have pulled out of the agreement ahead of schedule.

So, whatever the BT rep said, the end of the agreement did not drop on BT out of the blue and they should have had a contingency plan in place, even if that plan was a suitably timed end of service announcement.

0 Ratings
Message 758 of 1,226

@rperc13wrote:

The box that appears after clicking on the little white cloud still shows a red cloud in the top left corner. and clicking on Resume Syncing just produces the error message again.  However, the Recently Updated list now shows that a lot more items were updated 18 hours ago.

The only time I've seen the red cloud my name and usage percentage also disappeared from the mini dashboard. The most likely explanation seemed to be that the app had lost contact with the servers; no other programs were affected, and it recovered in a few minutes. I can find no mention of the red cloud in the user guide.

0 Ratings
Message 759 of 1,226

As BT seem to have totally gone to ground on this with no customer feedback whatsoever I suggest everyone on here make an online complaint via your My BT  page. If we all flood them with complaints this may eventually get top level attention and get solved.

0 Ratings
Message 760 of 1,226

It is strange, I received the same reply from the Chief Executive's PA back in the beginning of December. Sounds like the Boss is partying while the ship is sinking. 

0 Ratings