cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Cloud restrictions on downloads

I've been trying to download my cloud stored images/videos and I've had nothing but bother.  This is more of a cautionary tale.

I fitted a 2tb NVME into my PC as I have the 1tb BT cloud option and its full.   Firstly the BT Cloud app steadfastly refuses to run on my PC.  Its installed but when clicking on it, it never loads up.  I've got it working on another PC but that couldn't take the NVME.  Besides the app was flakey at best.

So resorted to the download option from the web version which lets you download large groups of files as a ZIP. Only it doesn't.  If you open a folder with 5000+ images it will backup to zip the first 60images.  Unless you scroll down to the last image so its got them all listed, then you can download them all.  

BT cloud has never been particularly intuitive but it at least had good capacity.   When they announced they were making the service read only I started looking at alternatives but my biggest concern is how to recover everything back to my chose storage.   What I didn't bank on BT doing was giving us a whopping 1 month to offline all this content.  Especially when their given cloud is so damn slow.   I've got 990mb Fibre, I expect at least 500mb but currently download speeds are limited to about 37mb per download zip.   If you're zip is "too big" i.e. it'll take 12+hours to download BT just gives you an error as soon as you leave your PC to go to bed.

How in the hell do BT expect regular folks to download a 1tb of data?

I actually think I'm going to have to take time off work to watch my downloads so they can't fail any more as the end of month deadline is racing towards us.  

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Cloud restrictions on downloads

Hi @SonySandy,

I am going to send you a private message for some more details to see if our BT Cloud team can offer some help with the issues you are encountering.

Alex

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@SonySandy 

the notification about the closing of the Cloud on 31/10 was posted on the forum on 15 July 2024 but i appears many are leaving till last moment before moving their files to another location

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/BT-Cloud-is-closing/td-p/2394468

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I recalled BT saying they were closing the service and that it was going read only. I don't recall them saying you'd get 1 month and then they'd delete everything.

However some good news on my downloads.  I was having no joy with the BT cloud app, but I searched again yesterday and there seemed to be an updated app.  Downloading and installing this resolved the issue with it not loading.  And in a couple of hours I'd replicated my 1tb of files to my new drive/PC.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the update @SonySandy 

I'm glad to hear that the latest version of the app has worked for you.

Michael

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I have been weeks trying to download my bt cloud .1 the storage icon does not reduce when you manage or delete files so i dont know whats gone or left  .After 2 hours with BT ITman  yesterday managed to start downloading ,,but after found it downloaded to laptop notmy  brand new 2TB portable drive. It then seemed to download to portable when no room on laptop ,bt helped me make a folder on portable to download files direct from cloud to portable. but a 44GB file stopped downloading at 19GB ?.They say I have to do it in chumks  ,also 'session expired' came up ?Re -logged on to bt cloud on web again and  then tried downloading file again and it downloaded the same 19GB content but layout was different on portable ?.abode files had all been collected together.dates only showed 'date modified' so it s impossible to find what part of the file to continue downloading.Also tried to download 10 individual pictires by ticking their boxes but menu asked for a zip file?I t would not download to the folder that the portable that the bt man had created for me ,a menu came yp asking zip file name?Created another folder on portable and put the same name of the new folder  in the box that asked for a new zip file... but ticked pics dont download. Nightmare !

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hey there @BONZO2, thanks for taking the time to share your experience here. 

Just to be sure first of all, have you checked to make sure that you're using the most up to date version on the BT Cloud desktop app?

The latest version is 24.4.24.

Peter

0 Ratings