cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Virus Protect switch from McAfee to Norton. installation failed

Go to solution

Received the letter about the switching of BT virus protect to Norton, have tried installing it but got the message that the installation has failed due to there being a version of this product already installed on this computer, which there is not!  So now I am left without virus protect as I was instructed to delete the Mcafee in order to install the norton version, please I need help

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Virus Protect switch from McAfee to Norton. installation failed

Go to solution

Your computer may have a trial version preloaded by the computer manufacturer on to your computer. You should have a look what Programs/Apps are installed.

As an aside if you are using a Microsoft Windows operating system on your computer Microsoft's own pre installed Microsoft Defender antivirus program will have automatically started when it detected that McAfee had been removed so you will be covered until such times as you install another antivirus program.

See link

Windows Security: Microsoft Defender Antivirus & More | Microsoft

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @Honeybun8679 and welcome back.

Sorry you're having problems installing the Norton. @gg30340 advice is sound. Can you let me know if it helps or if you're still having problems?

Cheers

David

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you, I have an iMac and I eventually found that there was stuff from Symantec on there, I was only looking for norton, once I remembered there was a connection between the two and removed that as well I was able to install

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you, Finally managed to install it, I have to say the help pages were no help at all, but once I figured out the Symantec and norton were connected and I removed the Symantec software (which I had forgotten about) I was able to install without any problems. Hooray.  I discovered if you follow the instructions that were provided by BT and the help section from Norton I had trouble on my other PC, but when I removed Mcafee first it solved the issue with that installation, so all good now.

0 Ratings