cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Wi-Fi running off my Hub

Just had my connection upgrade to full fibre.

While trying to sort out an old PC i noticed there is a public BT wifi hotspot accessible in my house/street

But there are not public businesses or other reasons for a public access point to available near my address, so it has to be from my hub.

my question is;

why 

am i paying £50~ a month for full fibre and then having my network potentially at risk or connection speeds slowed for BT to offer a public wifi hotspots??

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Wi-Fi running off my Hub

@freakierice 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

BT Wi-Fi Hotspot uses a separate virtual path and users cannot access your network, and you always get priority. Its enabled by default, and if you do a factory reset of your home hub.

You can opt out if you wish https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi-

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

The link provided only allows you to opt out of using BT wifi, not disabling it on your hub...

Again the fact your using my line and power, to provide others access to the internet without giving me any kick back is questionable at best and legally grey at worst 👀

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

@freakierice 

It takes up to 28 days for it to be disabled on your home hub, once you have opted out. A parameter change has to be sent to the home hub next time it is polled.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. Your post does not go to BT. The only BT staff are the forum moderators who do not necessarily read all the posts.

If you are upgrading from a BT Broadband package why are you only complaining about this now? 

As per the BTWifi Terms and conditions, which are part of your BT Broadband Terms and Conditions that you agreed to when you took out your BT Broadband package and any subsequent renewal or upgrade to your BT Broadband, you are automatically opted into BTWifi however you can opt out if you choose to do so.  This has been the case if you ordered BT Broadband after March 2009 or re-contracted to a BT Broadband service after December 2009.

For the full Terms and Conditions see the following link and in particular BTWifi Service Terms section 8

Value Added Service Terms and Conditions (bt.com)

As regards the your comment " without giving me any kick back."   The "kick back" that you receive is that you can use any of the 5 million BTWifi hotspots FREE of charge as long as you are opted into BTWifi.

If you do not want to use that facility and do not want the BTWifi signal to be broadcast from your BT hub you can simply opt out of BTWifi.

As regards your comments "The link provided only allows you to opt out of using BT wifi, not disabling it on your hub..." Once you have opted out using the link, a signal will be sent to your BT hub which will turn off the BTWifi signal. This can, but not necessarily will take up to 30 days to complete.