cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT virus protect

Did the switch from McAfee to Norton using Windows 10.  No problems, all working correctly.

Have now a new PC and a clean install of Windows 11.  Installed Norton from BT Virus protect and after installation I had an icon in the system tray, Norton showing as a program in control panel and was able to update Norton and set schedules and all the rest of it.  Two days later no icon in the system tray and no way to access any part of Norton. According to My BT security my PC was protected.  But still no way to get at it.  Re installed Norton and everything looked as it should be but after next re-start everything was missing again although My BT again says I am protected.

Have now installed Norton three times but always with the same result.

Anybody had a similar adventure or resolved this matter?  Can't find any help on Google or Norton.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT virus protect

This is happening on my clean install of Windows 11.

I have worked out that it happens when LiveUpdate attempts to update the scanengine from the BT supplied version (22.21.11.46) to a newer version.  I have seen this happen on two different version updates (22.22.2.10 and 22.22.3.9).

My Windows 10 laptop is currently on version 22.22.4.11 so the Windows 11 one is not even attempting to get to the latest version before it self-destructs.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I contacted BT support but they ran through the usual script about the removal tool and re-install.  I had already tried this before contacting them (I work in IT so I know my way around troubleshooting).

Apparently it has been escalated to Level 2 and I should hear from them within 48 hours.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hello.

Thank you for both of your messages. 

I am possibly in an unusual situation of having a brand new purpose built PC with a clean install of Windows 11 done by myself.  Nobody else has touched the device. So there can be no possibility of interference or any kind of bug from previous use.  If Norton won't install and work correctly on this device then clearly either Norton or the BT Virus Protect team have cocked up.

I would be interested to know of any progress you make.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Installed Norton and all seemed well until I tried to update it. It said to Reboot. Then I could not access to my PC. Finally I gained access using a Recovery Drive and rolled back the system before Norton. I have not attempted to install Norton since!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Some more on this matter under title "Norton disappearing after installation"

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

0 Ratings