cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Can't uninstall McAfee

Go to solution

I'm resurrecting this thread because I have a similar problem with a twist. McAfee is definitely conflicting with Norton so I want to remove it but trying to do it via the Control Panel doesn't work. I've downloaded the removal tool and when I've got as far as the Security Validation Screen and entered the required characters I get a pop-up headed  "Could not start process as Admin" with the message "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged or that might be malicious software from an unknown source." This has happened numerous times.

Informative, yes but helpful, no!

Can anyone tell me what to do next, please. I should mention that I'm still using Windows 7 and I'm not a computer expert so please make your replies as simple as possible. Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

Exactly the same problem. Can't use the control panel way as it does nothing.

The MCPR tool gets the  same message.Failed McAfee uninstallFailed McAfee uninstall

Not really a lot of help.

Ideas invited please.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

I spoke to BT who were helpful in the sense that they  made several suggestions as to what I could try but none of them worked so they metaphorically shook their heads and withdrew.

The problem was eventually solved by me bringing in the guy who built the computer. He did tell me what he did but I'm afraid it was beyond my technical understanding. It took him several hours although that included a major cleanup (the PC is several years old) and it's been fine ever since.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

Why would anyone want to use any of these. Windows Defender is easily better than any of these and will not slow your computer down like they do.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

Your solution does not work on my laptop running W7 Ultimate 64.

The McAfee files and folders are locked and cannot be deleted even with an Administrator account. 

Booted into safe mode with networking and no go at all. 

Am I supposed to be in the secret Hidden Administrators account to do this?

Being in my normal administrators account does nothing and the MCPR.exe will not even run, it brings up an error box saying that Windows cannot verify the digital signature of the file and that it might be malicious.

see an earlier reply for a screen shot of the problem.

My only hope seems to be to use a program that will delete locked files.

Total **bleep** and useless, not fit for purpose from McAfee.

I haven't really got the time and patience at my time of life to deal with this kind of **bleep** but I will do it. Thankfully it is a spare laptop that has the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution
Used LockHunter to remove locked folders but the ones in the common Files folder were more difficult to remove, only a folder at a time and then still some could not be removed. I used AVG PC Tuneup to shred the remainder. The services still remain, I need to find out where those hang out. Used the Registry cleaner and it found 400 McAfee deleted program files. Reinstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and that even updated and scanned the laptop. It is not available on Microsoft web site any more but you can find it on Major Geeks.
Hope this helps someone.