cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Just had a BT email re the change to Norton from Mcafee. No one seems to have asked why BT ?

Having spent time helping several OAPs at our club install and use the MacAfee antivirus protection they have paid for with their over priced BT broadband ive now got to go back to each and need to explain in their terms why we have to cancel their antivirus and install Norton.

Having used and got rid of Norton on a previous PC because it slowed and then slowed the machine more and more i hope that some of them using old windows versions will not get this issue yet again.

regards Paul

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Just had a BT email re the change to Norton from Mcafee. No one seems to have asked why BT ?

As a Septuagenarian, what has the members being OAPs got to do with anything?

Message 3 of 10

Re: Just had a BT email re the change to Norton from Mcafee. No one seems to have asked why BT ?

Why did you install McAfee in the first place?

No doubt your OAP's are all using a Windows operating system and they could have happily used Microsoft Defender Antivirus which is Microsoft's  own AV program or one of the many free AV programs available at no cost to them.

Doing that would have allowed them to easily move to another broadband provider that was less than their  "over priced BT broadband" and now you are going to compound that by changing them to Norton which you have stated through your own personal experience "used and got rid of Norton on a previous PC because it slowed and then slowed the machine more and more" 

Perhaps you should re-access how you are "helping" those OAPs who have apparently put their trust in you and advise them a cheaper and easier option is available.

Message 4 of 10

From past experience Norton has always been troublesome and I was pleased when BT originally offered McAfee for free. Then they decide to drop McAfee for Norton. This filled me with dread. However, I finally managed to install Norton (after three attempts) and it is working quite smoothly. However, even when changing some basic settings it asks me to restart the computer. (grrrr) I never had that with McAfee. Also the Norton replacement has less features, No individual file shredder., something that is important these days with home banking etc. Norton have a defrag button that really shouldn't be so visible if using solid state hard drives as defrag can shorten the life of such drives. It also lacks a good "tune-up" feature. I reckon users will have so many problems with Norton, they'll end up ditching it and buy McAfee. Could that be BT's intention?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

From past experience Norton has always been troublesome and I was pleased when BT originally offered McAfee for free. Then they decide to drop McAfee for Norton. This filled me with dread. However, I finally managed to install Norton (after three attempts) and it is working quite smoothly. However, even when changing some basic settings it asks me to restart the computer. (grrrr) I never had that with McAfee. Also the Norton replacement has less features, No individual file shredder., something that is important these days with home banking etc. Norton have a defrag button that really shouldn't be so visible if using solid state hard drives as defrag can shorten the life of such drives. It also lacks a good "tune-up" feature. I reckon users will have so many problems with Norton, they'll end up ditching it and buy McAfee. Could that be BT's intention?

McAfee caused me trouble in the past; so, I dumped it for Norton. Norton 2022 is a much better product than previously.
File Shredders. Just a few ?
https://www.lifewire.com/free-file-shredder-software-programs-2619149
The easiest way to deal with Online Banking is to utilise a couple of ENCRYPTED USB STICKS, to lock away.
Don't keep anything on the HDD or SSD, long term. Works for me.
AVs, Suites, Malwarebytes, Shredders, are all personal choice. Norton's OK.OFHC-LJ-500ani.gif

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@viton wrote:
I reckon users will have so many problems with Norton, they'll end up ditching it and buy McAfee. Could that be BT's intention?

That particular conspiracy theory fails because BT would actually be doing people  favour if they persuaded people to ditch their offering. Problem is the danger of being suckered into paying for an AV (whether McAfee or not) when, as explained in Message 3 above, it's not necessary for most domestic users.  

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 7 of 10

That particular conspiracy theory fails because BT would actually be doing people favour if they persuaded people to ditch their offering. Problem is the danger of being suckered into paying for an AV (whether McAfee or not) when, as explained in Message 3 above, it's not necessary for most domestic users.

Surround yourself with as much security as you can. The Internet is not a safe place !BE SAFE OUT THERE !BE SAFE OUT THERE !

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@COMPANY-PENSIONER wrote:

Surround yourself with as much security as you can. The Internet is not a safe place !

Good shot a sound bite but it's not really relevant here. It's generally not a good idea to install more than one AV at a time so this is a question of quality, not quantity. The premise is that paying for a product does not guarantee of better protection and the opposite is often the case.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 9 of 10

Good shot a sound bite but it's not really relevant here. It's generally not a good idea to install more than one AV at a time so this is a question of quality, not quantity. The premise is that paying for a product does not guarantee of better protection and the opposite is often the case

OFHC-TriggerBANNER-2.gif

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Head Banger.gif

--