cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Norton Security "Clean"

Just installed BT's Norton Security on a new Mac 24' desktop. ( this App previously run on an old Mac without any problems)  I ran an update which seemed to go OK.  I then ran the Clean facility which moved a large amount of stuff to the trash bin. The screen showed the Clean page with the circulating trail indicating scan was in progress with 24MB cleaned in the centre of the circle.  However, the circulating trail went on for over an hour without any more files going to the trash bin. Clicking stop failed to close the scanning and I eventually had to Force Quit the application.   Anyone else had the same problem?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Norton Security "Clean"

Yes I had same problem a while back and it seems to have sorted its self out.

I now for that reason dont use Norton Security Clean that often.

Never been a big fan of Norton from when I used to have it many years ago.  Liked McAfee better.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Ney

The Norton Security App from BT doesn't seem to be as good as the previous  anti virus app.  the "Clean " operation searches out "similar items and duplicates."  but similar does not mean the same and duplicates may be required in different places on the Mac.  I have to be careful to uncheck things or lose wanted files meaning I have to recover stuff from back-up.

I had problems migrating it from from the old Mac and had to fully uninstall it ans re load from the BT website.  even the the clean didn't work properly and didn't finish cleaning, just kept running till I forced a quit.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Spoke too soon Ney.

Just tried to run a quick scan but keep getting to open preference.  Checking preferences shows any/all Norton  ticked for access.  looks like another total\Norton uninstall and a retry

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Re: Norton Security problems

I bought a new Mac 24" M1 a  week oge and booted it up using migration from my old 2011 iMac  All apps transferred ok apart from the Bt supplied Norton Security app.  see my initial posting..The app is so inconsistent and required numero uninstalls and re-installs but stool failed to work twice the same way in any re-install.  The latest uninstall has somehow managed to lock me out of my internet connection making it impossible to reconnect.  Trying to contact Norton other than by their tick tick this Tick help page is impossible.   Like wise trying to  find a meaningful or useful solution via BT"s help pages.  I've just rebooted from scratch again and the Norton Security is still Locking me our of me internet.  

Can anyone offer any advice on how to;

a, get back on the internenet and b, totally rid the computer of all trace of the Nortron  Security

If I erase the Macintosh HD in Disk utilities, will I be able to start up the Mac from fresh and install the OS as with a new computer 

0 Ratings