cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: Norton Security switch has messed with my cctv email alerts

As you're not technical, the easiest thing to try is to turn everything off leave it off for around 30 seconds before turning it all back on. By everything I mean your hub, the complete camera system and whatever device it is you use to monitor it, turn the BT hub back on first and wait until the light turns blue before switching the rest on.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

Hi Keith. After your explanation about Norton, I’m no longer sure it’s that. It has to be something to do with the router though… any updates around the start of June ? Can I tell from my hub (away at present so will check when I’m home) 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

Hi - will try that when I’m home . Thank you 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Keith hasn't commented on this thread.

I would be extremely surprised if it is anything to do with the router if it is only the email alerts that are not working.

The common denominator is the email. Do you use that email address for anything other than the cameras to send with if so does it work for normal emails.

At this point we don't know if it because the emails are not being sent or if they are not being received.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

Hi

Thanks for your input. Yes I can use the email address absolutely fine for everything else. I will though change the recipient of the email snapshot to see if its the send or receive that's the issue (both set to be the same at present) but I don't think that's it.

The thing these devices have in common is I think they are p2p camera systems. I am aware in the past these aren't always safe. That's why I'm thinking the router has bumped them off or sent them down a hole or something. 

The error message that comes up is "Network is unreachable or DNS is wrong" when I do a test email.

Its a security cctv system that sends a snapshot alert at the time of a motion from my gmail address to my gmail address. And like I say, the two systems (Sricam and XIQ CMS) have nothing else in common other than they are both camera systems (not the same brand), but they both stopped working on the same day.

I've tried turning them all off, turning the router off, turning the router back on and then turning all the systems on one by one but that hasn't worked either

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

One thought that occurs is that some CCTV manufacturers only offer free services on the system for so long and then the facility is removed, for example and going from memory (so I might not be 100% correct) Foscam only offer a free DDNS service for 5 years after which it is switched off. Perhaps your camera manufacturer does something similar and the service is no longer available to you ? 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

Thanks. Yes good thought but I can’t imagine that two unrelated items of security which were purchased at different times would stop on the same day.  
This has really stumped me. It’s obviously an important part of a security system to get email alerts in you’re away from home, so it’s beyond frustrating. 
I have but the way, tried using a different email address and that doesn’t work either 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

I know this sounds desperate but as you said, it has you stumped and me as well so Hey ho here we go.

Mine works perfectly on gmail using SMTP 465

Desperate times call for desperate measures

0 Ratings