cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Norton is really messing up my Mac

Go to solution

I uninstalled McAfee - which was allegedly not compatible with my Apple Mac, anyway - and installed Norton. I'm running OS Catalina. Everything has slowed right down, I get the spinning ball a lot, any document or photo I try to open can take up to a minute, and if I try to use the Internet - Safari - the mouse doesn't work on the screen for maybe five minutes. All I can do is wait, then any typing I have done suddenly appears, very slowly, one letter at a time, and the mouse works again. The screen reverts to 'Finder' all the time so I have to repeatedly click on the app I'm using to bring it back to the foreground. Today in hopes of improving things I ran 'Norton Clean' as there was a message telling me it could clean up to 8GB; three hours later it had found 159k and was rotating round, and round, and round... so I had to tell it to quit. It actually seems worse than McAfee ever was. The Mac is running the bare bones Apple software and has loads of free space and memory, but this is driving me up the walls. Any ideas, or should I uninstall?

Had to move house but broadband much better now
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Norton is really messing up my Mac

Go to solution

Uninstall it and have a look at this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhl9_P8uBw0

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Uninstall Norton and install Cleanmymacx it will keep your iMac running smooth
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks to you both - I've just uninstalled it and things are back to normal. It's so annoying to be typing, looking at the keyboard, then check the screen to find not one figure has appeared, and I then have to click on the relevant app to bring it to the 'front' again where the typing will actually register. Safari starts up in a few seconds, not five minutes of bouncing symbol, and opening a document or photo no longer takes minutes. Your help has been most appreciated.

Had to move house but broadband much better now
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for letting us know you got this sorted @UlsterSurfer 

Thanks also to @Macawguy and @Dode for the help.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings