cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Opt Out of btwifi x hotspots

Go to solution

So I recently took over my fathers account since he died, and i know he had issues with this himself when he first got his bt home hub, and they opted him out after he made a formal complaint, it took MONTHS.

BT have sent me a new smarthub2 - fantastic, or so i thought ...

This hub is broadcasting 2 hotspots BTWIFI with no password needed and BTWifiX. The account has opted out of this years ago and when they migrated the account to my own, it is still opted out... meaning i cannot use the BT-WIFI app and use other peoples hotspots, but they can use mine.

I spent most of yesterday trying to figure out the issue with a customer service advisor who made me yet another account and migrated me onto that, since the opt in page (which after opting in you can opt out) just loops on every single browser on pc and mobile, and from looking at the forum has been broken since 2020.

Now my question is... Since this is not active on my account will the hub update and remove the 2 hotspots? Or do i have to opt in again to opt out to get it to remove it? Or am i stuck offering randoms free internet despite no benefit to myself because i cant actually use it!

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Opt Out of btwifi x hotspots

Go to solution

In my experience BT WiFi is nigh on impossible to opt out of.

I opted out of it a few months ago, my hub stopped broadcasting BTWifi-X almost immediately but continued to broadcast BTWiFi.

Today BTWiFi-X is back but according to the BT website I am still opted out, The mind boggles

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

I know my father had to make a formal complaint years ago to get it removed, which it did go after 2 months!! Its 100% off on my account but both are there,  It's just a big joke really.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

I have absolutely no idea why folks get so stressed about something that is of no consequence to them. It is totally secure from your own network, only uses a tiny proportion of your bandwidth on the extremely rare occasion that someone is using it and none at all if there is none to spare as the customer has priority over the bandwith.

Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Please enlighten me why I should allow bt to sell my internet that I pay for, for absolutely nothing in return. I can't even use the service myself because I'm opted out. Have you seen the prices they charge for others to use people's internet. 

So unless you can come up with a reason as to why bt have chosen not to fix their broken website for 3+ years I dont see why you're commenting. 

Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

I'm commenting on the irrational outrage that people have for somebody else using something they are not using themselves.

I have complained about the broken website on countless occasions, but that is a different matter.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Once again it's not irrational. Bt is selling access to others internet hotspots and giving nothing in return. I have it off because I live next to a pub and Airbnb and quite frankly no thanks, I'm not supplying others their internet especially if I'm not getting anything for it, yet bt is happy to take money off of me for it and charging others to use it too. 

It is opted out on my account for years so it shouldn't even be broadcasting at all...it's only because BT force new hubs to broadcast it automatically it's on. Which quite frankly is a con. 

I only ended up with a new hub because BT forced me to go digital voice only upon transferring my dead father's account into my name. They changed it all without informing me leaving me without a landline because I had an old hub. 

So quite frankly the incompetence of bt is pretty high at the moment in my eyes. 

Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@licquorice 

The only reason I opted out was because I couldn't believe all of the difficulty some forum users were reporting trying to do just that so I tried it for myself and then found that no matter how many times I checked that {expletive} checkbox, I couldn't opt back in again so I decided to forget it (or perhaps a similar phrase).

I now find myself in that halfway house where the BT website offers me the option to opt-in but my hub is behaving as if I am already opted in.

Not a big deal admittedly but irritating non the less.

Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @Snuggiduck welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry your Hub has started transmitting the BT wifi signal after the Hub was changed.  I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll be happy to raise a case with the BT wifi team.

@licquorice I've chased the BT Wifi website issue again this morning.

Thanks

Neil

Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@NeilO I think you need a bigger baseball bat 😃😃😃