cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Re: Problem with using my Apple iMac - can anyone help?

Hello again 😀

I'm wondering if anyone using an Apple iMac has installed BT's Norton AV software on their computer.

If so, may I have some idea of their experience with same?

Kind regards,

David B.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

The iMac has Anti Virus built in and installing another can cause conflicts. It will probably also slow the Mac down.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I tried and it failed to run all the time on my M1.

deleted it and hopefully removed my licence from Norton preffs.

bitdefender and malware bytes run free apps if you feel the need. Malware probably the important one. I only tried Norton as it was part of my package but not really needing it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for replying '400'.

Most folk don't seem to think Apple computers need anti-malware software. I've tried just about all of them over the last fifteen years - just to see what happened. Have you any experience with ClamXAV, based in Edinburgh?

Cheers!

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@BoaterDave 

Clam AV, not used it in years, had it when it first came out but it was back in the G3/4 PowerPC days and about the only one around for a Mac. Search on it I suppose.

I understand that malware threat is increasing. Hence I thought I would try the Norton package from BT as it was included in my package.

I assume you know Apple run a background check, updates often for threats. OS has built in safety. When I dealt with Microsoft files from a PC I would have a paid scanner running. I don't know a lot about this other than it happens.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/security/sec469d47bd8/web

I just avoid downloading non approved software and dodgy sites (you know, get the full version for free etc.). But I also use a few apps that deal with ad blocking, IP blocking/anti tracking  etc. They are not virus/malware oriented. And I am not a security expert. Though there are a few free cut down anti virus versions on the App Store if you want them , I stick to the main ones via industry reviews if I am feeling that way inclined. For me free Bitdefender from the App Store and Malwarebytes from their web site. Use next to nothing resources and quick.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I appreciate your further response, '400'
Having read at the link you kindly provided may I ask you to now search for ClamXAV (Not Clam AV!!!) and tell me if you think the product is necessary? My earlier post containing a link was removed by a moderator.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Might be going off BT topics (rules??) but I am not qualified to comment that far outside my personal use. Too many variables, to be honest if the BT Norton would have worked, it still rates as a useful tool looking at reviews and I probably would have run with it. However each persons need is different. I don't run with active scanning.

0 Ratings