cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Really Frustrating BT Hub - Blocking Devices

Go to solution

My wife and I are very c lose to moving to another broadband provider. We can not get our hub to block devices from using the wifi. 

I have the BT App

I use it to block a device for a certain period of time

It says the device is PAUSED

I block another device

When I go back to the first device, it is now UNPAUSED

The system is infuriating. PAUSEs dont seem to remain set. They change almost randomly.

If I could swear here I would.

Please do not tell me to load the Bt App, or how send me to the YouTube video that shows me how to block web sites. Does anyone really know what is wrong with the control system for the Hub?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Really Frustrating BT Hub - Blocking Devices

Go to solution

@turrellb 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Blocking of devices requires that the MAC address Device Hardware) presented to the home hub remains the same.

If you or other family members are using any Apple devices, or recent Android devices, that have MAC randomisation (Private Addressing) enabled on the wireless advanced settings, then this will result in the MAC address changing and would invalidate any blocks that you have set.

If you are trying to use the app to block access to other family members, then they can circumvent any controls you apply, by simply changing the MAC address on their device, or re-enabling "private addressing".

There is no way to prevent this from happening.

If you want to block specific web addresses, then that can only be done using the Parental Controls section of your MyBT account. That will affect all devices.

https://www.bt.com/help/security/how-to-keep-your-family-safe-online-with-bt-parental-controls-an

This would be the same on any ISPs router which has that same feature.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Really Frustrating BT Hub - Blocking Devices

Go to solution

that is a very very helpful answer. Many thanks !!!!!!!! I will tackle my daughters phone and laptop.

0 Ratings