cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Aerial or internet for TV?

Go to solution

New ProBox owner,  is there any difference is signal quality for Freeview TV when using aerial or internet ?   I assume they are both 1080i but wanted to check.  Thank you

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Aerial or internet for TV?

Go to solution

Picture quality is far superior in IP mode, more channels in HD, even the SD channels are better quality. However, not all Freeview channels are available in IP mode. 

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I agree with @moonie2014 .. SD quality is much better in IP Mode and HD channel quality is better as they're 1080p rather 1080i

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Agreed, much better quality, fewer channels (Dave & Food Channel were biggies for me). I had a problem where whenever network connection was lost, it was never recovered without rebooting the box and any recordings scheduled didn't happen so I swapped back to aerial.

Such a shame really, I know it would have been a bit more difficult technically but a blended solution that used IP when available, aerial when not would have been ideal - don't forget that even under an aerial solution, there's a good few channels higher up the channel numbers that are already delivered over IP.

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Interesting, I have a a good aerial signal from Crystal Palace, I set it up both ways, couldnt see much difference on HD channels which is all I watch. So opted for aerial, partly because I didnt want to be relying on Broadband connection, and because I can record 4 programs at once.
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@JohnHatter interesting because BT push the terrestrial IP channels out at a higher bitrate, lower compression and higher resolution than Freeview so technically it is better. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I’ll have another look, maybe it’s my eyesight 🙂.  

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Another question...if the ProBox is set up to  receive Internet (better) signal, does it put the same “better” signal out through the RF pass through to the TV? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

No. The RF pass through to the TV only passes the aerial signal, if an aerial is connected to the STB, to the TV.

0 Ratings