cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 34

Re: Apple TV app

@Midnight_Voice  there are I believe  minimum  speed  requirements  for the supply of both one and two extra boxes at the time of order. With the availability  of 4K streaming on many but not all the apps on the boxes plus all the other devices as you say could be in the home there could be contention on those not on the faster fibre packages 

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 34

@Midnight_Voice EE broadband isn’t better for us. When we renewed in March they were not able to offer us anything better in terms of speed than we already had with BT. That was one of the reasons that we stuck with BT, although I was well aware of other customers having issues in switching over to EE around that time. We were told before we signed up to BTTV ( as was) that our line speed was not fast enough to be able to have the extra box subscription and so we obtained another Pro box from elsewhere, and it’s been working perfectly well ever since.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 34

The EE TV service on BT Broadband is technically identical to the one on EE Broadband. The only difference between the 2 is the ordering system, and that's where migrations from BT to EE are occasionally failing - moving old accounts on BT (that potentially have many years of mistakes and manual corrections) across to EE (where they only know about current products) can cause orders to fail, or get stuck. The new system also isn't ready to take online/app orders yet, so you need to call the helpdesk to flex your package.

Regarding multiroom - it's a product decision to allow 2 boxes on EE Broadband, with the first one being free, and the second one being £10 a month. With BT Broadband, only one is available at £10 a month. It's one of the incentives to switch.

@IJMR Note: in order to have your DTR-T2000 replaced with a TV Box Pro, you will need to take out a new 24 month contract.
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 34

@Brucemeister5 

I should have used a smiley there 😛

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
Message 25 of 34

Thanks all. Some really interesting conversations here. Work is pretty full-on this week so it’ll be a few days before I get round to speaking with BT. I’m not opposed to a further two-year contract as we’re keen to get Apple. Mind you, I’m not sure how sensible that would be. Our current apps, such as Prime, are either running incredibly slowly or just boot us out at the moment. Worried about our broadband….

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 34

@IJMR 

if it’s just the apps that concern you, look at a Roku Express 4K, £40, which will have more apps than you can shake a stick at, blazingly fast (your broadband permitting) and nothing more to pay ever, except of course subscriptions to any new apps you might start using - e.g. Apple TV.

All your existing signons to the apps you currently use, subscription or free, will work. Freeing your YouView box to be just for recording duties, which it’s probably still tolerably good it.

Amazon offer their very similar Firestick, but I find its UI very cluttered compared with the Roku.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 27 of 34

@IJMR @Midnight_Voice  I may be befuddled as to why Prime is slower. If you have a Smart TV, I suggest downloading the Prime App and running directly through the TV. Works really well for us for both movies and sports, the latter with the occasional football match.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 34

If you have an older tv box it won't be as quick as it used to be. 

As amazon add more features to the prime video app the hardware can't keep up. Nothing lasts forever unfortunately 

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 34

@Weerab1983 @IJMR @Carlusha 

And the same goes for apps on smart TVs as well. Some just run out of steam, but more often, the provider declines to support older models.

To get Now on my 2015 Samsung JS9000, I’ve had to add a Roku Streaming Stick+

Even there, Now just threatened to make the stick obsolescent as well, by not providing Ultra Boost on it, but actually it does support it. But even if it didn’t, £50 for a current Roku stick will make the TV as good as new again, which beats the couple of grand it would cost to replace the no-longer-so-Smart TV.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 34

I must admit that some of these conversations are going over my head but I do know that the box model I have is a 91-00438. Have probably had it a while now and suspect that I need to persuade BT to update it. Whether that will solve all my issues including the slow running I’m unsure but it might not be a bad first step I guess. 

0 Ratings