cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 30

Re: BBC One HD Regionalisation

I note now that BT TV (YouView) is the only platform without regional BBC 1 in HD in the first channel position. 

Freesat now has HD regional versions of BBC1, 2, ITV and Channel 4 in the first 4 channel positions, matching Sky and Virgin Media and Freeview Play. I believe Channel 5 is a national feed but is in channel position 5 in HD also. 

Sort it out. I don’t buy the argument that it’s confusing to viewers when literally every other platform is doing it. I find it more annoying to have SD channels in the first 5 positions! 

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 30

Incorrect @Matomo - every single Freeview device in the UK will be showing those channels in those positions.
Freeview is an independent platform, nothing to do with BT.
Message 23 of 30

Yes, Freeview Play has them in the first 5 positions though. 

But for a paid platform you’re the only one with the first 5 channels positions being SD then, and as I say on the free side of things Freeview Play and Freesat have sorted it. 

BT TV as a platform can alter its channel numbers though, if you use Internet Mode you get the first 5 channels in HD. So I don’t really see what the excuse is. 

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 30

Youview has its User Interface policy and as it stands that determines that they do not have responsibility for  or change those standard channel numbers for the digital terrestrial aerial delivered channels (ie Freeview channels). So the Youview Guide (EPG) that BT TV uses would have BBC 1 SD as channel 1 and the BBC 1 HD  as 101 .

YouView does  has responsibility for allocating the numbers  to IP Channels. which are what you get in IP mode.

Message 25 of 30

@Matomowrote:

But for a paid platform you’re the only one with the first 5 channels positions being SD then, and as I say on the free side of things Freeview Play and Freesat have sorted it. 

BT TV as a platform can alter its channel numbers though, if you use Internet Mode you get the first 5 channels in HD. So I don’t really see what the excuse is. 

You could select IP mode if you have a pro box. That would give you the first 5 channels in HD..... plus the extra HD channels not available in Freeview mode. Yes you do lose channels at the moment, but you can still view them through the TV's tuner. Depends how important HD is for you I guess.

Message 26 of 30

Freeview and Youview still have 1-5 SD - but remember many tv sets out their are not HD compatible and even more boxes will not allow a region to have alternate line-ups so different boxes get a different line-up.

Freesat and Sky do have two different line-ups available depending on the box type (SD or HD) which is why you can see 101 as BBC1HD.   But if you have a SD Freesat box (or Sky) then 101 is now the non-regional BBC1 service.

@Matomowrote:

I note now that BT TV (YouView) is the only platform without regional BBC 1 in HD in the first channel position. 

Freesat now has HD regional versions of BBC1, 2, ITV and Channel 4 in the first 4 channel positions, matching Sky and Virgin Media and Freeview Play. I believe Channel 5 is a national feed but is in channel position 5 in HD also. 

Sort it out. I don’t buy the argument that it’s confusing to viewers when literally every other platform is doing it. I find it more annoying to have SD channels in the first 5 positions! 

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 27 of 30

@Matomowrote:

I just checked my LG Freeview Play TV and it doesn't - they are the usual SD channels in positions 1-5.

Message 28 of 30

That’s definitely in the Freeview Play specs. Is your TV connected to the internet? 

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 30

If I remember correctly the SD/HD switch on Freeview Play was proposed to be later in the year. Remember that ITV still haven't switched all their regions to HD, (here in Cornwall our HD region is Central West not West Country). I can't see the SD/HD switch until all ITV's HD regions are complete.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 30

@Matomowrote:

That’s definitely in the Freeview Play specs. Is your TV connected to the internet? 

Yes it is connected - the channel swap hasn't been implemented yet on Freeview and even then it will only be on the later Freeview Play models.