cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT TV Few questions.

Hi,

Back looking into BT TV now I Have ditched Sky broadband and taken out BT Broadband.

1) Do you have to have netflix ? (I am happy with my current netflix setup via the APP on my tv.

2) I currently have a Now subscription with Boost, I went for boost to get rid of the adverts.   Does NowTV on BT TV have adverts ?  or can you add boost also ?

£) I assume with it now being EE TV you can still have the box without an aerial,  What differences are there between having an aerial and not, channel wise ?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT TV Few questions.

Hi @ravedadave 

Do you have to have netflix ?

No, but you are only getting the option to have billing through BT/EE instead of paying direct.

Depending on the TV package you take, Netflix may be included, but there is no need to pay twice and you can still watch via the app on your TV if you prefer.

I currently have a Now subscription with Boost, I went for boost to get rid of the adverts. Does NowTV on BT TV have adverts ? or can you add boost also ?

Boost via BT/EE is called the HD/4K add-on or extra and costs £6. It works the same plus enables HD versions of the NOW channels via the Pro Box.

It is cheaper to get it direct, but if you move your NOW account to BT/EE, you have to pay their prices.

I assume with it now being EE TV you can still have the box without an aerial, What differences are there between having an aerial and not, channel wise ?

Correct, you get a range of HD channels but it isn't the same list as you would receive through Freeview. Also, whilst you can record itv channels without an aerial, you cannot skip the adverts in this mode.

Full list of IPTV channels is here: https://www.bt.com/help/tv/guide/ip-freeview-guide 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 3 of 8

Thanks @stereohaven 

I have full premium netflix so I assume I can have that on BT also ?  As it stated a more basic package.

So if you don't take NOW with BT, I assume you just login to your existing account and the functionality is the same ?I have a great offer with NOW at the minute so it seems silly switching.

So you can record ITV but when playing back you can't FF the ads ?  How perculiar!

Message 4 of 8

Yes, they really don't like people skipping the ads lol. IPTV is their chance to crack down on that. They don't have that level of control on aerial Freeview mode.

Message 5 of 8

@ravedadavewrote:

Thanks @stereohaven 

I have full premium netflix so I assume I can have that on BT also ?  As it stated a more basic package.

So if you don't take NOW with BT, I assume you just login to your existing account and the functionality is the same ?I have a great offer with NOW at the minute so it seems silly switching.

You can pay for Netflix Premium through them if you wish, it’s an upgrade cost if you have a basic subscription included in the package you buy.

You only get a box with a TV package and only the Sport package doesn’t include some NOW channels.

If you acquire a second hand box you can use the NOW app as normal, you just can’t watch the channels via the TV Guide or record them unless you are billed by BT/EE.

By signing up to a NOW package you are handing over control of billing for it to BT/EE and can only take advantage of any “deals” through them. You are also agreeing to a 2 year contract rather than the flexibility you currently enjoy.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 6 of 8

On adverts with NOW.

If viewing a Now linear channel  (live or recording) you will get adverts. 

For on demand the normal Now rules on adverts apply as does the Now Boost rules.  

Now app on EETV (Youview) boxes do not currently  have subtitles. ( linear channels  viewed by the box EPG will have subtitles available).

Bonus  Stream Now content  ( normally  additional  streams of Golf/Championship Football/Tennis are available  only in the app not via the EPG.)

Now Boost  is included in the HD or HD/4K combi addons  for relevant TV   packages. (Full Works/Vip pack has it already  included)

Now linear channels via the box EPG  are available  in both SD and HD versions   to view the HD versions the relevant  HD addon ( in reality the combi addon with Boost described above) needs to be taken or included  in your pack.

Message 7 of 8

@ravedadave 

You do know that with Now direct from Now, you can start the cancel process, on any and every membership, and will probably be offer a discounted rate to stay?

You don’t get that on EE TV; it’s full price Now all the way.

The main benefits of EE TV are that they lend you a BT Pro box, on which you can record the Now channels; but most Entertainment and Cinema is on catch-up anyway, so this really only benefits Sports fans, as catch-up on the Sports channels is really patchy. And there’s TNT and Discovery+, which may swing the equation if you want them.

The other benefit of EE TV is IP Mode for people who want broadcast TV, but don’t want, or can’t have, a TV aerial, or who only get a restricted set of channels, possibly SD rather than HD. Though there are rather more channels on broadcast TV from a full Freeview transmitter than there are on IP Mode.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
Message 8 of 8

Thanks to everyone who advised, much appreciated.

Based on the feedback I think i'll stick with what I have.

Thanks.

0 Ratings