cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT TV Pro box missing basic functionality?

Go to solution

Hi, I've just recenty switched from Sky+HD to BT TV and I'm trying to get used to my new BT TV Pro box. However I'm finding it seems to be missing some basic functions, namely:

1. If I've paused live TV, how do I get back to live TV again? On Sky I'd just press the 'stop' or 'Sky' button but the BT remote has no stop button (?!) and the BT button just switches it off. It even remembers where it was paused at when I turn it back on! Yes I can fast forward but that's really slow, especially if I'm like 30 minutes behind live! I've tried every button I can think of, even going to the guide and re-selecting the same channel but nothing works. The only "shortcut" I've found is changing channel, then changing back again.

2. Is there a way to get to my recordings without having to press 5 buttons on the remote? (Home, down twice, OK, OK). On Sky I'd just press the 'play' button but on this remote 'play' and 'pause' are combined into one button so I just end up pausing what I'm watching instead, and then getting annoyed because of point 1 above.

3. How do you jump to a particular time in a recording? Again on Sky you can just enter a time on starting playback, but I can't find anything like that on the BT box so far. Yes it remembers the last point I've watched it to and resumes from there, but say I fell asleep while watching something and it played on to the end. I'd like to restart playback at any point in the recording. Manually fast forwarding or rewinding is way too slow and clunky as mentioned already.

I've only been using it a few days but I'm really struggling to get used to it. These are really basic features to me that, unless I'm missing something, just aren't there???

I'm using it in internet-mode btw. Is it any different in aerial-mode? I don't want to have to factory reset it just to try that out and find it is exactly the same.

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT TV Pro box missing basic functionality?

Go to solution

There is a reason that the Sky UX is the best in the business.

1. Have you tried the “Back” button?
  2. Not that I have found.
  3. Amazingly, someone at YouView thought users would prefer to either press and hold the forward or rewind buttons or press buttons 1 - 9 to jump forward  or backwards in increments (1 = 10%, 9 = 90%).

Sadly, the mic built into the remote isn’t activated either. “Skip 4 minutes” is the best voice instruction ever!

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

There is a reason that the Sky UX is the best in the business.

Indeed it is!

1. Have you tried the “Back” button?

Yes, it does nothing other than hide the banner saying I've paused.

2. Not that I have found.

Oh well.

3. Amazingly, someone at YouView thought users would prefer to either press and hold the forward or rewind buttons or press buttons 1 - 9 to jump forward or backwards in increments (1 = 10%, 9 = 90%).

They know us best, lol! Ah so the numbers 1-9 work on recordings. I can at least get a bit closer to where I want to be using those. Thanks!

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

To resume from live pause press and hold FF and it will jump in 1 minute intervals to live. Do the same to skip ads when viewing recordings.

For (2) I've never found an easier way and @stereohaven  has answered (3), which isn't of much use in my opinion unless all of your recordings are 100 minutes, otherwise it can be mental arithmetic time to work out what percentage gets you near.

BT TV can be, depending on what deal you get, a very cheap alternative to Sky. But ultimately you get what you pay for and the reliability isn't what it should be.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Regarding the difference between aerial and IP mode, it depends on your area and usage. Generally, at the moment, there are more channels available in aerial mode (unless you're in a Freeview Lite area), but less channels in HD. In IP mode the HD channels take priority in the EPG (in aerial mode the HD channels appear in 101 onward). 

As for usage in aerial mode you can record four channels any one time  and IP mode only two. So it's up to you to decide.