cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

BT TV remote not controlling soundbar anymore

hi....i was using jvc tv with bt tv box and lg soundbar...my bt tv box remote controlled my soundbar but not my tv (the sound is the most important) but have just upgraded my tv to a TCL Roku 55" tv but since i have my BT TV remote wont control my soundbar anymore...

any help muchly appreciated as always 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT TV remote not controlling soundbar anymore

@ItsMe2 

OK, my working hypothesis would be that your BT TV remote wasn’t controlling the soundbar as such, but it was controlling the TV, where by HDMI-CEC, as JVC call it, Control Other Devices as Google call it, this was in turn controlling the soundbar.

To get back to this, you need to have the BT TV remote controlling the TCL TV - have you done that yet? - and CEC turned on, on the TCL.

The remote is supposed to automatically pair with the TV that the Pro box is connected to by HDMI, but I don’t know how dynamic this is when it’s already been paired with the JVC. But if so, you can re-pair it thus:-

The BT TV Box Pro remote should connect to most TVs automatically. If yours does not pair, you can reset your remote by holding down the Home and 9 buttons until the light on your remote flashes. If resetting your remote does not work, you will need to use your TV remote and BT TV remote separately.

Hopefully, the TCL will pair OK. I’m assuming you have a Pro box there; if not, you will definitely need to change the TV the YouView remote is set for, manually, according to the manual that came with your box.

I would expect CEC to be on by default with the TCL TV, but perhaps not. Here’s how you do it, if you need to:-

https://support.tcl.com/us-googletv-setup-configuration/activating-control-other-devices-cec-for-goo...

I’m also assuming the soundbar is connected to the TV via an HDMI cable going into the HDMI port on the TV that is labelled ARC or eARC?

Any remaining issues, though, please post again, specifying the  model of YouView box, and the make and model of the soundbar.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

hi...the bt control didnt control the jvc tv only the soundbar...tried all the settings i can find but to no avail.....any other ideas muchly appreciated

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

@ItsMe2 

I’m sorry that working through my suggestions as above was of no avail either 😢

Are you sure you carried out all the steps?

If so, I guess it’s time to:-

Any remaining issues, though, please post again, specifying the  model of YouView box, and the make and model of the soundbar.

And how the soundbar is connected to the TV would be useful to know, as well.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

hi...thx for replyin....

nothing has worked that you posted up to now....even the link didn't give me an answer

bt box model - RTIW287

soundbar - SHARP HT-SB147

tv - TCL 55RP630K

soundbar is connected to tv by HDMI (eARC)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Not sure if this will help, but I had something similar last week. Turned out that the remote batteries were low and for whatever reason if the battery is low it won’t control the volume. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

@ItsMe2 

OK, a Pro box then. Is it controlling the TV OK?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

hi...wasn't sure if it was a pro box or not....no the control doesn't control the tv....rung bt and they said with the control i have it can't be tuned in to tv cos there is no buttons that i need to press (can't remember what they  are at this min)

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

@ItsMe2 

Well, BT support were misleading you 😢

But they are half right, in that the Pro remote will make brave efforts to learn how to control your TV without you having to put any codes in.

Let’s try it:-

Ensure the Pro box is On, and connected to your TV over an HDMI cable, and that the TV is On, and switched to the HDMI input from the Pro box.

Carry out the instructions here to first reset (Home and 9), and then to pair (Home and 7), the Pro remote:-

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/fix-a-problem/remote/which-remote-do-you-have/resetting-your-remote-contr...

See if the Pro remote now controls the TV. If it does, does it now control the volume of the soundbar?

If both, excellent, things should now be fixed.

If it only controls the TV, or if it doesn’t control the TV at all, come back and say which, and I will give you further steps to try.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

hi...thx for all you suggestions but still to no avail....doesnt control tv or soundbar still just the bt tv box.......

0 Ratings