cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT TV set-top box

I cannot load any Amazon Prime TV without having to switch off and reset my TV box. I have contacted BT and their on line help line checked the box and found no problems, but was unable to resolve the fault. He thus sent out a new set-top box, which was due to arrive last week, but is still held up by postal strikes...

Talking to another BT help line today (to cancel my Alexa digital voice as we have no alternative means of communication if there is a power cut or we lose internet - we live in a mobile blackspot), he thought that saved recordings would automatically transfer from old box to new. The BT box is made by Humax, and I know that when we had a Humax recorder that when the hard drive failed we lost all recordings.

I assume that despite reassurance from BT that I will NOT lose recordings, that they are actually  saved to the box's hard drive, and not to a Cloud... If so HOW can I transfer recordings from old box to the new???

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT TV set-top box

Short answer is you can't, so you will lose the recordings.

You could try connecting both boxes & just turning the old one on to binge watch them until BT nag for its return.

Pro Tip: If you need to call BT to ask a question, do it five times. If you get the same answer twice that might be the right one. 🤣

Message 3 of 7

There was, and for all I know still is, a problem with the Humax boxes and the Prime video app.

Fortunately the solution was quite simple, either use the 'Close' button on the remote control or the Exit option on the Prime home-screen to exit the app instead of repeatedly pressing the 'Back' button on the remote 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I had previously tried that to no avail - it had been working fine until about a month ago. Switching off at the mains and rebooting is the only thing that works. Prime opens, lets me log in, go to my Stuff and select a programme. It then attempts to open that (I get the 'loading' circle), but then an "Oops something went wrong Try again later" message comes up (no error code).... Symptoms of possible problems occurred before that when I watched series 1 of Farscape (sci-fi), but got no play arrow for series 2.....

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Can you view your recordings OK? if not then it could be that the hard drive is ready to give up the ghost

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

The idea of keeping both boxes in tandem had occurred to me...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Yes, recordings are all OK - BT box seems to have a solid state hard drive - the old Humax we had was a electro/mechanical disc drive, I replaced that twice before I relegated it toi the loft...

0 Ratings