cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

BT remote control

Go to solution

Hi,  our remote control unit was damaged and now doesn't work.  We have a second BT (you view?) box in another room with its own identical remote control handset.  I would like to use this handset with the main box ie to replace the damaged unit.  However it doesn't seem to communicate with the box.  Any idea how I can "activate" it?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT remote control

Go to solution

Hi @jongrayseal,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community. Have you tried resetting the remote?

How to reset your EE TV Remote

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

If they are both pro Boxes then they work by bluetooth & need to be paired to each box. There's been conflicting posts in the past as to whether it's possible to pair one remote to two boxes, so I guess you'll have to try it & see,

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thank-you so much.  I'm happy for the remote just to be paired with one box,  so (a) how do you un-pair it from its current box and (b) how to you then re-pair it to the new box?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

No need to unpair,  just follow the link that @PaddyB posted.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks.  Sorry but it gets more complicated....our box is located in a cupboard behind the wall that the tv is mounted on so no line-of-sight between the remote and the box.  The other (now damaged) remote worked fine i.e. its bluetooth signal could pass through the wall.  The new remote (identical and now paired) will only work if there is a line of sight, which is no good with our setup.  Any idea why this might be happening?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Sounds like it isn't properly paired, but the line of sight is confusing because AFAIK, the IR only works with TVs. Might be worth trying new batteries in the remote in case it's just a low signal making it appear it needs line of sight.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks to both for your expertise.  I have solved the problem.  The new remote wouldn't pair because the old remote was still paired.  Once i removed the batteries from the old remote then the new one paired using home/7 as advised.    Even before doing this,  the new remote was working but only when there was line-of-sight to the box.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@jongrayseal 

Then I would hypothesise that the remote tried to pair, and if successful would have switched into Bluetooth mode, but because it wasn’t successful, it stayed in IR mode, where it was still capable of sending the required codes to work the Pro box, but only via IR, and hence the Pro box would only receive these when the remote was in line of sight.

And the Pro box, even though paired under Bluetooth, would still respond to IR codes when it detected any.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings