cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Black text on BBC channels

Go to solution

Just received and installed my replacement BT box as the last one was playing up. All seemed to be fine until I started watching BBC 1. After a few seconds there appeared a whole load of black text overlayed on the picture. I have reset the box a few times and retuned it to no avail. The text only appears when watching BBC channels so ITV etc are fine. It is not present if you record a program and play it back. Also if you pause the program for a few seconds and then play (so you are a few seconds behind real time) the text disappears. 

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? I have upgraded to the latest software version.

I have attached pictures to help show the problem.

IMG_0071.jpgIMG_0072.jpg

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Black text on BBC channels

Go to solution

Hi @Ajcraven welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

Do you get this on the BBC channels if you connect your Aerial directly to TV?
If you don't get it with the Aerial direct to the tv then try a soft reset of the BT TV box, keeping you recordings, and see if that helps resolve the issue. How do I reset my BT TV box? | BT Help

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi John, 

Direct to the tv does not cause a problem. It only occurs through the bt box. I have tried a soft reset with no effect.

Any other ideas?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

the unwanted display all seems to relate to BT/Youview content/data so does seem to be a BT box issue and not an aerial feed issue so advice from BT Tv expert probably is needed.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Ajcraven, thanks for testing that for us and posting back. The only option left is to factory reset the box and see if that cures the problem. You will lose recordings if you have any so may want to watch them first if they aren't available on the players. 
If that doesn't work we'll need to replace the box.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi John,

I performed a full reset and the problem has gone away. I assume it was just a glitch during the setup process. Thanks for your help.

Alan

Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Ajcraven

Thank you for posting back to let us know the factory reset has resolved the problem you were experiencing.

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
We had one other customer report this a few years ago, but the cause was never found. Reset appears to be the only option.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@DarrenDev 

Do you know that an Option 2 or Option 4 Maintenance Mode reset would not have cured it?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
A software reset should have sorted it, but as we haven't seen it ourselves we can't say for sure.
0 Ratings