cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Blank screen on BT TV box

I have had an RTIW387 TV box from BT for quite some time now but it now appears to have developed a few signal problems. 

My first problem started around November time in that any channel I was watching (particularly the popular ones, BBC, ITV etc) seem to 'drop out' for a few seconds. No sound, and the HDMI indicator (tells you which HDMI is connected) appears. Several seconds later the sound and picture return. Then the same happens a few minutes later.
This problem seems to appears in 'clumps' - i.e. maybe worse during bad weather? But unsure.

Then recently (last few weeks) I am also getting problems whereby, when switching channels, the channel number and title appears but the screen goes blank...only this time for minutes rather than seconds. Sometimes, flicking through a few channel numbers it suddenly clears but this may be just a coincidence.

Any ideas?

I have read on this forum that people in  the past with similar problems have used a variable attenuator to fix this but unsure if this would work in this case. And, if it is the right solution, which kind would I need? (spec)

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Blank screen on BT TV box

By the way, the same channels appear ok when I switch to normal digital channels on my TV (i.e. not using BT box).

Also....had to add this as could not find any edit feature for my question - does one exist?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

@Bakersboy 

There’s an Edit feature you can find by tapping/clicking the three vertical dots top right on a post you have recently made.

’Recently’ because it does disappear after a certain length of time goes by (15 minutes? 30? Longer?) but certainly more than enough if you are reviewing a post you have just made.

i’m told I can’t post links to commercial sites on here, but it’s permissible for me to suggest you type ‘variable attenuator coax’ into your choice of search engine, on your choice of browser, and see what comes up.

They are pretty cheap; £6-£10 should do it. Make sure it’s coax, to go in your YouView box aerial socket, and not the F-type for Sky. Add it to your aerial chain - it’s passive, no power needed - pick a Freeview channel on the YouView box, twiddle the knurled controller thingy (nearly got in trouble again for calling it by its usual name 😛) on the attenuator, and see if the picture comes back.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Edit is available for 1 hour after the post is made.

You can't post links, but you can provide names. E.g. search Amazon for "specific product name".

@Bakersboy do you know if you're using IP mode on your box? Is channel 1 BBC One or BBC One HD on the box?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

@DarrenDev 

Thanks, that’s helpful, clarifying the one hour for editing, and that we can mention Amazon.

The rules across various Communities are so different; Now give 15 minutes for editing, YouView had no time limit. And some allow links without qualms, but some get upset if you even say ‘South American river’ 😛

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

yes, I can see 'normal' channels on my box - BBC, ITV etc. Will that change which attenuator to buy?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

thanks - I'll give it a go and post a result 😉

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@Bakersboy 

No - if you were buying a fixed one it might, but these variable ones go from 0% attenuation to 100% attenuation, so they are all much of a muchness.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

ok thanks 👍

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Ok, the attenuator has been fitted and has been in for about 3 days now. I have not had to adjust it yet but can say that I have had no problems so far since fitting it.

I have also noted that the picture does appear sharper on HD channels - not sure if this is just me imagining things since fitment or whether this is actually the case. 

But I will be signing this off in the next couple of days if no further problems and I thank all those that have contributed to this solution. 🤜🤛