cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 30

Re: Cannot record and all scheduled recordings disappeared

I too am unable to do any kind of recording from the tv guide and whilst watching a program. The record button refuses to work.
All recorded programs have disappeared. 
I have the same 4k TV box.. which says it has the latest software

do I need to speak to  Bt/ee to get a new box or can it be sorted via This chat ?

thanks

shaun

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 30

We too have an old BT 4k box from a previous subscription. (well 2 but the second one hasn't YET been affected)
That has had the software update and pretty much bricked the box.
It's very slow to start and function, sometimes it shows the inital channel (BBC1) but wont turn over, sometimes I can slowly access the menus (hence found s/w 3.8.204 and noticed new icons in settings menu) but it wont play recordings, allow us to view tv properly (switching channels) etc.
We were "low" on memory left (I think about 9%) and assume any update and just overloaded the box in terms of memory maybe?
Tried software reset and reset without losing recordings to no avail? 
Any advice (before a proper factory reset - I dont want to lose recording but currently the box is useless anyway as a result of the latest update)  Why cant we just not have the updates and allow the boxes to function continuously - I dont care if EE is the new name for BT!

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 30

Hi,

we turned the box this afternoon and there was a message to recommending software update…

we did this and the box is back to working as it should be but all recordings etc have gone… 

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 30

Hi @Halestone1 thanks for posting and sorry to hear about the problem. Those symptoms sound disk related, so if recordings are unavailable, I'd suggest a full factory reset to get up and running but realistically a replacement box would be the best option for you to prevent a repeat in the future. That's best done by reporting a fault in the 1st instance and requesting a a hardware swap out so the new box can be added to your account.

Thanks

David

Message 25 of 30

Any advise on this please @David_H 

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 30

I spoke with BT and they advised that the factory restart should sort it out…..

the following day my box started acting up again, apps wouldn’t load and it occasionally rebooted.. 

spoke to BT again and they provided me with a new box as they now admitted that it was bricked… 👏👏

im guessing your in the same situation your going to need a new box

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 30

We're not currently BT TV customers though so I presume they won't care! IT is clearly this EE software update that has causd it though and bricked what was a perfected well working 4k Youview box - not good

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 30

@CarltonFandango 

In the maintenance menu for the 2100 box there is, or at least was, an option to restore from the Internet. I have no idea if it's ever worked but if present on your box, you have nothing to lose by giving it a go. In theory I guess it should recreate the basic image on the disk that would allow it to rebuild the box's operating system.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 30

Hi @CarltonFandango  just seen the @ request. thanks for the mention. 

Can you drop me a DM with your serial number and I can check what's the box is telling us? If you're not a current customer I may be limited in what I can do but hey let's at least try 🙂

Cheers

David

Message 30 of 30

@rbz5416 @CarltonFandango 

The YouView box maintains (at least) two copies of its operating software, one that it runs off, and one for backup. An Option 2 Maintenance Mode reset will refresh the running copy from the backup. The Option 4 reset will fetch the latest operating software from YouView’s servers, replacing the backup with that, and will then create the running software from that.

Catch 22 is that you need to have had, or be capable of having, a successful Option 2 reset before your box will have the capability to do an Option 4 reset.

But no Maintenance Mode update, short of an Option 5 (which is exactly equivalent the the menu Factory Reset if you can access that), will clear any corruption of the filing system on the disc that may be preventing you making new recordings and/or playing back existing ones. And the Option 5 can only do that by rebuilding the disc structure from scratch, which means wiping what is currently there.

Depending on what caused the corruption, failing disc and/or hardware, or just a onetime blip, you can continue to use a box that’s had an Option 5; though if it wasn’t just a one-time blip, it’s probably going to do it again. In which case it might be enough to replace the hard disc; if you pull the existing one and put a brand new one in, it sets itself up, so it’s pretty straightforward.

But a YouView box is only finally, terminally, bricked, if it doesn’t come back from even an Option 5, or if it does, but continues to be flaky, even after a disc replacement.

Worth seeing what @David_H can find though, before taking any action, even before trying that Option 4, as a YouView box that reaches out to YouView, but can’t get through, doesn’t time out, it just sits there forever, or until you do an Option 5.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***