cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Do BT / EE still replace YouView boxes free?

What is the position over faulty YouView boxed since the change in name?

I thought the streaming part was faulty but sure now that is the Freeview part that is causing picture break up.  Signal Quality is shown as 100% and works using the TV set as a Freeview receiver or my Panasonic PVR's Freeview receiver.

I tend you view Freeview using the BT YouView box because the TV set's remote tends to be unreliable - probably had things spilt on the keypad too many times!

Am I entitled to a replacement YouView box or do I have to buy it?

----
MB
----
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Do BT / EE still replace YouView boxes free?

If you are a current BTTV customer and the box was provided after 2019 as the box isn’t yours but loaned , then a replacement may be possible ( may involve a recontract ) but if it’s just a BT box that you have acquired and you use without paying BT for a TV service, then No , it won’t be replaced, TBH it’s a bit optimistic ( to say the least ) to expect a replacement in that situation 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Some of the boxes don't like a 100% strength signal, it tends to overload the receiver and cause the very symptoms you describe. You should try purchasing an attenuater to fit in line with the aerial cable, they cost in the region of £10 on ebay

Message 4 of 9

Normally replacement loan  box (same  model) would be supplied  if BT considered  your present  box faulty if you have a current TV package within the minimum  term.  Outside minimum  term or if wanting a box Upgrade would typically  involve a new minimum term tv (and broadband) contract starting. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

It had not occurred to me that might be overloaded, seems unlikely as only started recently.  But should be able to find an attenuator somewhere.

Not sure when I got it but had for some time, sure will be pre-2019.

MB

----
MB
----
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

If you use the search bar above, you will find that it's a common problem and might even find some illustrations of the attenuator and suggestions where to get them from

Message 7 of 9

@JMB,

An attenuator might help if the signal strength reading is 100% and the signal quality reading is not.

If your box's signal quality reading is 100% when it  is tuned to a pixelated channel, then the chances are that the box is faulty.

Message 8 of 9

@JMB 

Just to make it clear what others are saying.

The pre-Pro boxes have quite weak tuners that are nowhere as good as in most TVs so a signal strength of over , say, 95% can seriously overload them.

If your Signal Strength is in excess of that the a variable attenuator plugged into the back of the unit and adjusted to reduce the strength to between 85-90% should resolve your pixelation problems. Obviously we still want the signal quality at 100%.

Changes made to the Freeview transmissions could explain why it was OK and now isn't.

I think the same maybe true of the Pro units but I've no experience of them so cannot say for certain.

Message 9 of 9

@TimCurtis I think it's common across all Youview boxes. Before I switched to IP mode, I had an attenuator connected to resolve these issues.

0 Ratings