cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

EE TV modem questions

I'm looking at taking up EE broadband and TV on a new FTTP connection.

1. I understand that to use the TV recorder I will have to use the provided modem rather than my own. Is that correct?

2. Assuming 1. is correct.   I have my own router feeding a complex ethernet network and WiFi mesh.  Will I be able to get a feed from the supplied modem that will allow me to use my own router without double NAT problems?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: EE TV modem questions

@RGing 

You would be best asking the question on the EE forum.

https://community.ee.co.uk/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

OK Thanks.  I found EE TV and thought this would be the place. I'll try there.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@RGing 

Its simply that BT TV is now EE TV, for those that are still with BT Broadband. Its just a branding change showing up on the TV boxes.

As you are thinking of moving to EE, then I would be a bit wary at the moment. Take some time to read the comments on the EE forum first.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@RGing @Keith_Beddoe 

The Pro box remains the same; although it has a new EE livery, this is just cosmetic.

BT Broadband customers will stay with BT and the BT Smart Hub 2, though BT has now rebranded to EE.

EE Broadband is a whole other service, delivered over an EE router that is rather different from the BT Hub 2.

There are some aspects of this rebranding that still need a little more thinking through 😛

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

That's not entirely true either @Midnight_Voice - only the fastest broadband speeds will get the new EE router. Slower speeds get a rebranded Smart Hub 2.

To answer the original questions:
1. Some people have had success using their own router - it depends how well it supports Multicast. Search these forums for your device to see if it has been discussed. This configuration won't be supported though - if you have any issues with TV or broadband, you'll be required to switch back to the provided router to diagnose them (the router also has a number of diagnostics and monitoring tools built in).

2. There's no ability to use the supplier router just as a modem, so you will end up with double-NAT. Whether that causes you any issues depends on what you use it for.