cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: EE TV picture Quality

@Todd99 

When you say you have subscribed to all the HD channels, do you mean that you have Boost?

While Now’s default HD is better than SD, it’s only 720p, while Full HD is 1080p, but you only get that with Boost.

Broadcast or IP terrestrial channels described as HD should be 1080p, though.

So your PQ may vary depending on what you are watching.

A further consideration is upscaling; if you have a 4K TV, then something has to invent the extra pixels to fill that screen; 3 out of every 4 for 1080p HD, and 8 out of every 9 for 720p.

If you are watching any 4K content from the Pro box*, make sure it is this doing the upscaling, and outputting a 4K signal. Otherwise the 4K gets busted down to Full HD (or worse!) by the Pro box, and the TV has to guess what’s gone missing when it upscales it back to 4K again.

*and possibly even if you aren’t; your Pro box may be a match for, or even better at, upscaling than your TV is. I judged my LG GX TV better at upscaling than my DTR-T4000, so while there wasn’t much 4K content on that, I let my TV do the upscaling; but now there is more 4K to be had, I let the T4000 do the upscaling of HD and SD. The difference was only ever slight anyway.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

So I have the HD and 4K package but I don’t NOW boost if that’s what you mean today purchased a wired connection from broadband to the pro box and can’t see any difference really and I don’t know how to see or set that what you explaining that’s out of my depth lol my tv is 55 inch Hisense 2021 Qled model I understand Hisense isn’t as good as your Samsungs and LG’s but I’m sure sky PQ was better on normal HD than this that’s all

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

@Todd99 

I’m pretty sure the HD and 4K add-on does include Now Boost. The easy way to tell is to watch a Now channel via your Pro box EPG and then try to start Now on something else (a phone will do) using your EE TV credentials. If it lets you, and doesn’t say you have exceeded your streams limit, then you have Boost.

I’m pretty sure your Hisense is a 4K TV, though I’d need the model number to be absolutely sure.  But it may well say 4K or UHD on the box it came in, or the user’s manual with it, or even on the TV itself. 

A problem we have seen reported in the past is that some TVs allow you to tweak the settings for the broadcast picture and the picture for each HDMI input separately. Great for perfectionists, but it can mean that a user will get the broadcast picture perfect, and then find the HDMI inputs look inferior.

So there’s usually a setting, when you have got the picture just how you want it on one source, to ‘apply to all inputs’, and this is worth doing.

I’ll walk you through checking the Pro box is outputting 4K tomorrow when I can rehearse the steps on my YouView box. It’s fairly straightforward, I just have to get the names on the options right.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

Okay thank you and I’ll get the model number to you tomorrow but I’m sure when I bought it stated it had quantum dot technology but I’ll get the number tomorrow I’ve got new 2023 Q led hisense in the bed room and the PQ seems better so could be the tv 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

For info -

The HD/4K addon  on EETV Big Sport/Entertainment/Big Entertainment/Full Works  packs sold by BT should be the  Combi addon which includes Now Boost. Probably the easiest way to check on the Box Pro is to open the Now app  go along top  to settings which opens "My Account" which lists all the Now memberships  which are active and who they are billed by.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

And no I’m not its over WiFi yeah so could be possibility 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

But does the boost make itv bbc ect into 1080p tho or is that just for NOW TV app? 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

@Todd99 

Boost works for the Now app and for the Now channels in the EPG, but that all, I believe. Mind you, it’s a big ‘all’ 😛

But this is why the 4K and HD add-on, which includes Boost, is better value, as it costs the same as Boost alone, and works for the TNT channels as well.

The Freeview HD channels in the EPG will be HD no matter what.

Message 19 of 22

yeah still a lot yes I have the HD 4K add on but not boost are you saying I need the boost for the NOW channels on the EPG to be in hd or will they be in HD with the add on I have 

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

@Todd99 

You have got the Boost, or should have. 

@zulu17 and I have given you two different ways of checking it.

0 Ratings