cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Freeview streaming channels

Go to solution

Should the freeview streaming channels work through the BT STB?.

All i've ever got from them is just the grey screen with the channel name on it and end up hiding them from the guide. I do like a bit of robot wars though and now the Mech+ channel has appeared just wondering if i can get it to work.

Using BT TV Pro box (aerial channel setup for now [still waiting / hoping for more channels to be added to internet mode!])

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before, i searched and found nothing.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Freeview streaming channels

Go to solution

Hi @Steeve 

Short answer is no. Longer answer is YouView doesn't support the older MHEG-IC standard and only supports the newer HbbTV standard, therefore only a handful of those internet channels work.

Given that BT are the primary user of YouView and with the rebrand to EETV, I was hopeful that they provide support at changeover, but following what's been released i'm less hopeful. I've hidden the channels in the EPG and use a Freeview box alingside my BT Box

MikeAlanR

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Damn, ok thanks.
And thanks for the explanation too, no idea what you're talking about but 10/10 for the detail!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@Steeve 

There are two ways of encoding streaming channels, the old way and the more recent, and superior way.

Those channels whose providers choose to still use the old way can’t be decoded by YouView boxes, which can only handle the new way.

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Were Youview own community still functioning I would have asked them when launching their new look website this summer  about their statement in their new FAQs

YouView and Freeview are competing services. With YouView, you get everything Freeview offers – plus a whole lot more,

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

UK RADIO PORTAL, channel 277, uses Hbb tv encoding and does not load up.

Not sure about the new channels added this week, but seems most if not all the freeview streaming channels are not active on the bt pro tv box.