cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

HDMI display settings

So for some reason when you set the hdmi display to UHD 50fps 10bit the colours look washed out. When you down step it to 1080p it fixes itself and looks great as it should. Why is it you need to do this ? I never had this issues with the Sky Q box. So if I want to watch TNT channel 465 when they show HDR premier league games I’ll have to change it again but it will look washed out. It’s got nothing to do with my tv because every other app and device (ps5, blu-ray player) looks perfect and as it should when using hdr. Surely this has to be looked into for a proper solution. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: HDMI display settings

@Cakes86 

Which YouView box exactly, and which TV?

If it were this Samsung TV, this would be the instructions for fixing your issue:-

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/tv-audio-video/how-to-enable-hdmi-uhd-color-in-series-6-4k-uhd-tv...

On other TVs, it would be called Enhanced HDMI, or something similar; you turn it on input by input, specifically the one with the YouView box in the first instance.

Assuming you don’t already have it set, of course. If you do, then there’s a thing with HDR, which I liken to non-HDR being like a car that can cruise all day at 70, but when you turn HDR on, or select something with it, then the car can kick up to 90 on demand, but only cruises at 60 now as it needs something in reserve 😢

I’m expecting Wimbledon to do this, and I probably won’t watch it in HDR, as the BBC iPlayer is particularly prone to the issue.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

All I know is it’s the new EE Pro Box.
Hdmi plus is already set for all my hdmi connections. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

What TV model is it? Does it officially support 10Bit?

So as far as I know HDR is 10Bit but some 8Bit TV's will do some sort of HDR work, but its not fully HDR, so I wonder if the EETV Box is rather militant when enabling 10Bit, again is contradicted because I think the Sky Q box also has a 10Bit option....which must have worked.

HDR is only active on HDR content mind, so the TNT Sports Ultimate HDR channel is probably the only TV channel there is, the rest will be ondemand.

Lastly, when you enable HDR and got to a HDR channel does your TV change mode and indicate it does with a HDR symbol?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

It’s the new S95D so it definitely supports 10bit. It’s fine for HDR on every other device and all the built in apps. It’s only the EE Box pro that has this issue. I will try going to that channel but I’m 99% certain it will show up as hdr video on the Samsung settings tab along the bottom. Also Sky Q had the option of 8bit or 10bit and both worked fine while I had that box. I only gave it up as I couldn’t have my own sky dish when I moved house. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Peculiar isn’t it.

None of the channels are HDR apart from that TNT Sports one as far as I know although you can watch some BBC Euro games on the red button with HDR.

Switch it back on, then visit that TNT Sports channel and ensure the TV is indicating HDR is happening 🙂 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

It’s not specifically saying it’s running in hdr but the gamma changes to ST.2084 and on the regular HD channel it changes back to BT.1886. Thus I reckon it is working on that channel and the colours aren’t washed out like they are on non HDR channels. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Weird, nearly all TV‘s now like to shout when HDR is enabled with some sort of OSD.

What are you expecting from the non HDR channels by comparison to TNT Sports HDR? By comparison the colours will of course be far superior on the HDR channel.

Do you just mean the normal HD channels look worse then when on Sky?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

It does on the apps I think if I remember correctly, 

I'm expecting it to look the same as it does when I change the output to 1080p it looks like HD should and the colours are correct or close to correct without being pro calibrated. Instead when the output is on HDR 10bit the HD channels look completely washed out and almost like they are behind a veneer or something. Hopefully that makes sense. It’s like why does it instantly fix itself as soon as the output is changed to 1080p. Sky Q allowed me to set it at HDR 10bit. It would drop down to HD when not on HDR channels and go back up when it was on HDR channels. 

0 Ratings