cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Incontinent behaviour of CEC on DTR-T4000

My LG GX TV has the YouView box on HDMI 1, the LG GX soundbar on HDMI 2 (ARC/eARC), a Panasonic DMP-UB400 on HDMI 3, and a Roku Express 4K on HDMI 4.

With TV and soundbar in standby, starting either the Panasonic or the Roku from standby will turn on the TV to the desired input, and the soundbar to ARC, or eARC if I have that option selected. And I suspect it is the TV turning on the soundbar, rather than the HDMI-connected device doing this.

But turning on the YouView box from standby, this will turn on the soundbar to HDMI, not ARC/eARC, the TV then momentarily to YouView, followed closely by it switching to the Panasonic, which the YouView box has also turned on.

No audio, though, unless I happen to have a source plugged into the HDMI port on the soundbar 😢

Which, as I had just turned on the YouView box, you might think it would know was what I would be trying to watch and to listen to; but no, both video and audio steered to the Panasonic input. And to claw the soundbar back to ARC/eARC, I have to go and get the soundbar remote, as this isn’t something the LG TV remote can switch 😢

The workaround is fairly simple; turn on the TV before starting the YouView box, but I don’t always remember, and it is a slight inconvenience to have to remember (and a major inconvenience when I forget).

I think the problem may be that the YouView box is broadcasting the CEC trigger on CEC address 15, so it turns on everything it can turn on, instead of just the TV, which all my other devices do. If so, it’s fortunate that when the TV is already on, this signal is suppressed, or possibly not sent. Phew.

But why does the YouView box behave in this incontinent fashion?

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Incontinent behaviour of CEC on DTR-T4000

Man I hate these type of issues, its okay for us who put the setup together but when someone else in the household gets into a muddle it can become quite stressful!

I have something mildly similar but I never turn the YouView Box on first as my ATV is my primary device, you may remember me as 'Mr One Input' or 'Mr Anti ARC' 🙂 , where everything plumbs into my AV then off to my LG C3.

If I turn on EETV first whilst everything is off the amp will ping on and also the TV, but as the Apple TV comes on and loads up to is home screen which will always be a couple seconds after EETV it will then change my AV over to itself. If everything is off and I turn my TV on the AV and Apple TV will wake also.

If I turn the Amp on on its own, which never happens the TV comes on but not the Apple TV.

Anyway to use EETV I have to power on the Apple TV first which causes everything to come on, wait a couple seconds them power on EETV which then switches over, the Apple TV just remains on and idle, I can switch back to it by pressing one of the buttons on its remote.

Whilst I am offering no solution I am extending solidarity, indeed having everything go into the AV and then one output to the TV does reduce issues as you never have to worry about sound source because what ever Input on the AV is active will be taking care of both picture and audio.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 3 of 8

@naylor2006 

Did you mean AV in that first line, not ATV?

It seems like the EETV box turning on the Apple TV is your equivalent of my T4000 turning on the Panasonic.

My soundbar is my ‘Mr One Input’, but it literally is one input, as it just has the one HDMI In. I usually have the Panasonic plugged in there, as the LG GX TV doesn't pass the various DTS formats, though the GX soundbar does handle them. 

Apart from the issue with starting the YouView box first, though, everything does ‘just work’, even though all the other HDMI inputs are on the TV.

Like you, I suspect, a setup only I can work is not what I would class as a workable setup 😛

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
Message 4 of 8

Over time my desire to simplify things further and further mostly so other people stop bothering me 🙂

No I meant ATV, but im also tired, perhaps not explaining myself well.

I mean that the Apple TV is the device I use primarily, so given that if I power on the EE TV box first that eventually the ATV will hijack it back whilst it lags a few seconds behind powering on....which isnt a concern because everyone uses the ATV primarily, so this is the way to power everything on, then wait.....then power on EE TV and it switches over.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

In my experience changing the TV HDMI input away then back is sufficient to kick a recalcitrant CEC connection back into action.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@gomezz 

As above, I could do with it being a bit more recalcitrant than it is 😛

Message 7 of 8

Shouldn't  the heading on this thread read INCONSISTENT or am I getting  confused.

Message 8 of 8

@david1982 

Alas, it misbehaves consistently, though what it does with the YouView box is indeed inconsistent with what it should do, and what other devices do

But ‘Incontinent’ was carefully chosen to cover the way it isn’t holding itself in, and is spraying ‘Switch On’ messages everywhere, and making a mess 😛

Look up synonyms for the two words on Google; they do diverge…

0 Ratings