cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Maintenance mode loop

Go to solution

I switched on my 4k uhd TV box and it automatically went to maintenance mode. Restarted it and it went back to it. So I reseted it in every way available. Factory reset doesn't work and I get this error message "sorry, selected option failed". It seems to be stuck in a loop. It happened to my laptop once when it was hacked. Seems like it happened here. Can tv boxes get hacked?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Maintenance mode loop

Go to solution

If there's any kind of security flaw then devices can get hacked.  But has it been hacked, or could it be something else?  My money would be a hardware or server problem.  *Normally a hacked device is going to do something other than just not work properly!  If it carries on, you may need to reset the box and see if there's a firmware update before you set it back up!  Sometimes things just go wrong!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks for your help. It might be broken. I might need a new box. I wanted to watch Blair witch project, nearing halloween
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@Mobi  The most likely cause if all of the maintenance mode/factory resets fail is a problem with accessing or corruption of the hard drive. The  maintenance mode internet recovery modes would require a functioning internet connection but the other modes attempt to recover from data already stored on the hard drive.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Mobi @Crimliar 

This is a fairly well-known, if infrequent, failure mode of YouView boxes. It’s probably a failed hard disc. Other hardware failures pretty much don’t happen, except with the early DTR-T1xxx boxes.

If you are with BT TV, a replacement box will be readily available from BT.

If not, eBay and CeX are your friends.

Those of a technical bent could pull the hard disc and look at it with a Linux distro, but are unlikely to be able to do much more than reformat it.

A reformatted disc, assuming data corruption and not hardware failure, put back into the YouView box, will be set up by the box to work again, but your recordings are gone, whatever. And could you ever trust it again?

Or you could put a new disc drive in it; get one of the same capacity or higher, makes sure it’s suitable for video use. This is relatively straightforward to do, but you have to balance the cost of this against the cost of a replacement box.

I’ve never come across a hacked YouView box; it would be quite hard to do, and what payload could it have?

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks. I think that's whats wrong with it

0 Ratings