cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

NOW TV via BT TV - subtitles

Go to solution

Hello

I would like subtitles on NOW TV (accessed via BT TV) - but the NOW TV website instructions point to a different set of settings from those that I can see?  Has anyone managed to do this please?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: NOW TV via BT TV - subtitles

Go to solution

@mairetheresa 

The Now app on YouView boxes does not support subtitles.

The YouView box supports subtitles, and Now supports subtitles, but the combination of the two does not.

It is quite beyond me why BT TV can’t knock the heads of its two major partners together and get this fixed.

If the TV you are watching YouView on supports Now, I suggest you watch on that if you want subtitles.

If it doesn’t, a Roku Express, HD (£20) or 4K (£30) is an inexpensive way of getting Now with subtitles, plus loads of other apps you might enjoy,

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution
  • Oh ok thank you.  Sorry for ignorance but what are they and where do you get them from?  
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

@mairetheresa 

They are little streaming devices, which plug into a spare HDMI port on your TV and provide all the catchup apps for BBC, itv, Channel Four, My 5, plus all the main subscription streaming apps, like Now, Prime, Apple TV, Paramount, Disney, Netflix, and so on.

Here are some details:-

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/players

Amazon, Curry’s, Argos, all can supply them, and rather cheaper than the prices Roku show.

I have an Express tacked under the bezel of my TV, bottom left. (They give you a sticky pad to do this with). It’s ever so neat, and just looks like part of the TV. And it’s a great deal faster than the same apps on my YouView box, so I often use it instead of that, even for apps on the YouView box with the same functionality,

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution
You've been so helpful, thank you.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution
Good news - subtitles are now available on the Now app on all EE TV boxes. Let us know if you have any issues.
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

When you say "all EE TV boxes" do you mean all, even the much older models?

Edit:  Can confirm subtitles are now working on the Now TV app on my DTRT4000 - tested on Sky Sports News.

Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

@NickBS 

Just checked mine & it doesn't work, so how has this been implemented, app update or general software update? My Now app is 9.2.13 & the Pro Box has been telling me for months that it can't update apps.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

@NickBS @gomezz @mairetheresa 

Confirmed working on my T4000, T2100, and even my retail YouView T2000.

Not (yet?) driven off the remotes’ SUB buttons; you have to pause, and the select the speech bubble icon.

But I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

It does explain the bone-cracking sound the boxes emitted a little while ago, though; it must have been the sound of two heads being knocked together 😛

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

@rbz5416 

Mines Now 9.2.13 also.

Try the Pause method I describe instead, if you’ve been trying to get SUB to work.

0 Ratings