cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

“No aerial connection” help

I’ll try to keep this simple…sorry it’s a little long!

I have aerial sockets in several rooms but the only room that works is main living room with the BT/EE box. 

Originally (2013) I had a triax modulator (with F connectors and scart) but as I’ve replaced TV and tv box over the years the modulator has become disconnected because connections have changed / become obsolete such as the scart as none of my devices have this now.

I’ve always had BT from house built in 2013. There’s an external aerial. 
In loft is an amplifier/booster with coaxes running to (each room I think), each room has an aerial wall plate. 

In main living room, where I think the issue is, there are 4 coax coming from the wall - 2 ordinary aerial connectors and 2 F connectors. 

I have one aerial going to the EE tv box but can’t workout where the other coax (2 F connectors and remaining aerial) should go. I’m assuming that if they were all connected to something they create a loop of some sort and the aerials in all other rooms would then work. 

Any help / tips / suggestions welcome as I have little hair left!!!!

thank you

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: “No aerial connection” help

@STH2427 

The two F connectors are probably for a satellite receiver. Is there a dish on your house? If not, then have you tried unscrewing the faceplate to see if those two actually have anything connected to the back of them?

Regarding the other TV aerial connector: is it the same gender as the other one? It could be for FM/DAB radio. Again, if your house has no radio aerial(s), possibly in the loft, then this one might also not be connected to anything on the back of the faceplate.

Alternatively, it could be a UHF TV return path:

You mentioned a Triax modulator, which I assume that you used so that video in via the SCART could be tuned in on the TV? What was popular a few years ago was connecting the aerial feed to a Sky Box, (which had an internal UHF modulator), the splitting the UHF output, (some Sky+ HD had 2 UHF outputs), one to the main TV and the other being fed back to the UHF distribution amplifier so that it could be watched in other rooms. This is what that other cable might have been intended for. Remote control from other rooms was by Sky "Magic Eye".

If the aerial sockets in the other rooms don't work, then try temporarily connecting the two sockets in the lounge together with a short patch cable. If this makes the sockets in the other rooms work, then this is a "Return" cable. If you don't want to use in the "Sky" configuration I described, then use a low loss UHF splitter, with its input connected to the socket that would normally go to your lounge TV, one output to your lounge TV and the other output fed back to the other UHF socket on the faceplate. You should then have TV signals available in all rooms!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@Paul608085 Thank you. 

the other aerial connector is the same as the one plugged into the EE box. When i plug it in though there is no signal. 
ive never had a satellite dish (I’ve lived in house from new build). 

when the modulator was initially set up every room worked. It’s only since the modulator has been disconnected that the other rooms dont work. Ive had no rewiring work at all so it must be something to do with the 2 F connectors and the remaining aerial connector. 

I should add that there is no faceplate just 4 co-ax cables coming out of the wall. 

I think the ‘return’ you talk about for the other aerial (not F connector) is probably the most logical. So the answer seems to be the UHF splitter. I’ll Google to see if I can find one. 

im stumped!!!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

I too have little hair left, so feel your pain. But as regards the coax connectors… Have you still got the Triax modulator? If it’s anything like a similar thing that I’ve got, it may be able to generate a test pattern on a spare UHF channel. And then use it  to send the signal through one of the spare coax cables.  You could then plug the other end of the cable into the TV and see if you can tune the TV into the  (Analogue)  signal. So using the Triax and TV as a cable tester / identifier.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

@STH2427 

I had an aerial installation where the 6-way masthead amplifier needed powering, but there was no electricity in the loft. The fitter solved this by installing a little box in the second bedroom which sent the required low-voltage DC signal back up the incoming aerial cable to the masthead amplifier, where it was isolated and used to power it.

He suggested I label the little box, as people tend to remove these because they don’t know what they are for, at which point all their other aerial connections stop working. 

I suspect that your modulator was also performing this function.

Before I replaced the 6-way with an 8-way, I had the loft electrified. Not only was this a better arrangement, the light also illuminated boxes of stuff I had thought were gone forever 😛

Get an aerial installer in to look at it, and restore proper operation. It shouldn’t be expensive.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings