cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Popping/chirping then picture breaks up & sound dimished

*ADMINS PLEASE REDIRECT IF THIS IS ON THE WRONG BOARD*

PROBLEMS VIEWING TERRESTIAL CHANELS VIA BT BOX

For the last few months I’ve endured a frustrating problem with FTA broadcast channels (BBC/ITV/C4 etc) when watching through the BT box.

Randomly the picture starts to degrade with large pixels or half the screen displaying a different image often accompanied by a loud chirp/popping sound which appears to partially mute the sound which then gradually recovers to its previous level. The picture also gradually recovers.

This is intermittent and doesn’t always happen but once it starts it becomes more frequent.

It doesn’t happen on other channels or when watching via Amazon Fire or direct from the aerial.

Steps already taken to rectify:

surge protection on power supply

new aerial fly lead

restarted/reset BT box, updated software & channels

unplugged all interconnects & replugged

The frustrating thing is the set-up is exactly the same as in our previous house where there was no problem - this is only present at this location.

Equipment: Samsung LE32R88BD (old but good!) /BT TV Box Pro type B (Youview) connected wirelessly to BT Home Hub 8 & via BT HDMI to port 1 / Fire Stick to HDMI2/aerial fly to wall socket/Logik LS32WLB14 sound bar/wireless subwoofer attached by fibreoptic lead.

Any insights/suggestions extremely appreciated!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Popping/chirping then picture breaks up & sound dimished

Does the different image you mention appear to be a image from the current programme you are watching or from some  other programme/source ?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Hi zulu17 - thanks for replying.

TBH I’m not absolutely certain as it’s quite fleeting: my impression is it’s from the same programme but it’s incomplete so can’t be certain!

Is this significant?

Regards,

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

You say it doesn't happen when watching "direct from the aerial". Can you can clarify how you are watching these channels other than direct from the aerial? Do you mean you are watching the IP streaming versions?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

I mean that if I plug the aerial directly into the tv the issue disappears; this was done to isolate whether the aerial was causing the issue - which it is not.

And, yes, when watching via the Fire stick or streaming on the BT box, the problem doesn’t exist as it’s not live tv!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

How often  is this occurring  , a few times each day , a few times eachweek , a few times a month ?

When it occurs  once it returns  to normal , try rewinding back to just before the problem  and replay see if the buffer replay experiences exactly  the same issues  ?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Hi zulu17,

just watching ITV1 now we have a stable picture but the audio is “blurred” although I anticipate this will not last!

Generally it is happening every time we watch live TV (i.e. free-to-air broadcast) regardless of channel.

I’ve tried rewinding as you suggest & the buffer holds the error so it’s clearly somewhere between the input & the tv (i.e. in the box).

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Well only speculative thoughts / ramblings from me .

Possible issue with aerial socket  on the BTTV Box. 

Possible electrical or other  interference  with the aerial cable feed to/around BT TV box ( TV may have better shielding).

Could it be a faulty  tuner on the BT TV box , given that there are 4 tuners available  on box  would be interesting  if problem  occurs on recordings in progres at at same live as live viewing ?

Freeview does have a range of multiplexes , it would be interesting to see if the problem occurs only on  1 or all of the multiplexes.

When the problems occur on Itv is this the HD 103 channel or SD  3  channel  and if you switch  between  HD and SD do you experience  issue on both.

If you check Signal Strength/Quality in the BTV Box settings  what values  do you get. ( ideally  check when you don't  have a problem  and also when you do)

Message 10 of 14

Worth mentioning  is one option you do have is to use your BT Pro box in IP mode for the free to Air channels (would reduce the number of simultaneous recordings you can have as restriction of 2 IP channels for viewing/recording would apply).

Also some Freeview  channels not available  in IP mode.

However you could use the aerial feed into your TV and view all the Freeview  channels via the TV tuner.

0 Ratings