cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Primary Box?

Go to solution

I'm just about to order an upgrade for my package and add TV services. 

I know that as standard you only get one box that can view the subscription channels, and that is fine. 

The only problem is, I have a couple of YouView boxes of my own in the house connected to my BT Broadband connection, just for free channels and catch-up apps. One is from TalkTalk (Huawei DN372t), the other is a BT Box (Humax DTR-T2110) that was purchased as a retail model. 

When I get the Pro box from BT, I want that to be the one which gets the subscription channels. But having been with TalkTalk previously, the box you want to be the primary box, isn't always the one that gets assigned.

So my question is, if I order now, is it likely to just assign one of my existing YouView boxes as the primary one before I even receive my new Pro box and block me from viewing the channels on BT's own box when it arrives? And if so, do BT staff have the facility (and make it easy) to get the primary box changed on my account?

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Primary Box?

Go to solution

Hi @Koda 

You don’t need to contact BT to choose or assign your primary box.

Personally I would be inclined to power off your existing boxes when you are ready to set up your  BT TV Box Pro until you complete the setup and have your subscription channels working on that box. 
( When setting up the pairing of the mobile BT TV app to the BT TV Pro box to enable remote setting of recordings you may also need to power of the other boxes to ensure the right box is found to pair to)

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

So when I plug in the pro box and go through the setup process that is when it would assign the box as primary when I first try to watch a subscription channel?

I was worrying that if I ordered now I would have to switch all boxes off between now and delivery when I connect everything up.

If it works the way it sounds like you're suggesting, then I can work with that quite easily

Thanks for confirming!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Well even if one of your existing boxes picked up BT TV services prior to the arrival of your BT TV Box Pro , by powering it off and then setting up the BT TV Box Pro should mean that the Box Pro gets the BT TV services.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I’ve got 2 boxes connected to our BT Broadband too. Your primary box will be set up when you go to watch a subscription channel or the BT Player. It is possible to swap and change and you will be prompted to ask if that’s what you want to do,  but I don’t bother doing that. I just stick with one box as our primary box and use the apps on the other box and also use that to record the Freeview channels.