cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Problems Accessing BT TV Channels (New Customer - Own Modem/Router)

Go to solution

Good Evening All,

Had my BT service go live today and unfortunately ran into a few problems;

I'll open up by saying i have my own modem and router, which i checked with BT customer support first before signing up and they OK'd this to use (as the BT Hub 2 does not have its own unique bridge mode and i'm needing a better router for various in home networking needs) - aside from having to log into the router and add the generic 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com/BT' login details which the tech/customer support person informed me of, it was all going fine.

However the setup seems to have fallen afoul of the BT TV channels from the package (Have a BT TV Box Pro) and i am not getting any of them!

Internet for all various devices is OK, just no BT TV channels from my package. ( the BT TV box can access 'Smart' apps ok like Netflix )

Can someone please help me with this one ? Thinking their is setup needing done on both the modem and router (but not the TV box?) - i'm fairly proficient with a chunk of computing hardware stuff, but networking has always seemed like a bit of a dark mysterious art for me instead , so laymans terms if possible plz:P

Setup Details

• Modem - Draytek Vigor 166 (V166-K) : in its original 'factory' settings, acting as just a modem - its connected to my routers WAN port
  • Router - Asus RT-AX82U : the BT TV Box Pro is connected to one of its LAN ports
  • TV Box - BT TV Box Pro
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Problems Accessing BT TV Channels (New Customer - Own Modem/Router)

Go to solution

@Velete 

BT TV uses Multicast, so its likely that your router does not support it.

BT can only provide support for BT TV if you are using the BT Home hub, so try using that first and see if BT TV works. If it does, then your router is not compatible with BT TV.

Most TP link routers are.

It would be worth looking at.

https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1011708/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe Thanks for the initial info, can confirm the router should indeed support Multicast

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@JonMace Thanks will check these against my settings

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I now have the settings in this image set on the router thanks to previous poster

Capture.PNG

My BT TV Box pro is now oddly picking up some extra channels: AMC (which i have as part off Entertainment and is 'working') and also BT Sport 1-8 (these are not included in my bundle and give a message about not being subscribed when i try to watch as expected :

but none off my 'normal TV' channels from the package are appearing (entertainment bundle and such)

One step forward, two back 😞 , still perhaps further modem/router settings need changed?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Not sure if this would help you but I am a new customer too and using a tplink AX1800 router. What I did on the first day - I set TV channels using the BT Hub, and then replaced it with my router. I could watch the Freeview channels (probably because of the aerial) and the AMC. Two days later all the additional BT channels showed up magically on the list and now I can watch those I am subscribed to (Entertainment package). I did not change any settings on my router except for the BT login:).

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
After following the suggestions from @JonMace to check my settings and settings them as per the image in my following post - AMC and BT Sport showed up (even though not subscribred to BT sport so couldn't watch it anyway) but the other channels were missing.

Two days later with no further modifications to the setup and can now confirm all my missing channels + Entertainment bundle channels have now appeared and are working!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

glad it worked

0 Ratings