cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Smart TV, BT Youview box and Roku Express

Hi. I have a Samsung Smart TV that I have connected to my BT Youview box. While the box has some apps on it (it’s about 7 years old), I’m missing some I want to access. So I bought a Roku Express stick.

I want to watch TV and stream stuff through my Roku stick, but keep the BT box so I can record programmes.

Problem has arisen that while this all seems to work, I find that the sport I am watching through SkySports on NOW (on my stick) is a bit jerky - picture doesn’t seem smooth - and I encountered a buffering issue while streaming from BBC iPlayer. Note that I have fibre broadband which is very fast.

My question is: do I need to switch off the BT box when I am streaming through Roku so I am not overloading the broadband? If so, should I just use the BT box as a recorder direct from my Smart TV? And if so, I guess I need to connect things up differently.

Any advice or pointers welcome.

Thanks

David

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Smart TV, BT Youview box and Roku Express

You might be running into a bandwidth issue. What is your broadband speed? 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for responding Nigel. I’m on BT Broadband Fibre 2. Advertised speed is 67-73 mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

If you're streaming HD or higher while trying to record a couple of IPTV streams, you might run into issues especially if you have NowTV HD Boost. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

How are you powering the Roku stick? if from the TVs' USB port and the TV is 7 years old then it could be that the USB port is struggling to supply the necessary power.

It's easy enough to prove or eliminate that, just power it from a 2A phone charger and see if the problem stops

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thanks both. I’ve changed the power source and will see how that goes.