cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Software update

My DT4000 box has had a second software update in the same number of months. This update has resulted in lost recordings and complete reset of passwords for catchup channels. Has others had this inconvenience?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Software update

What makes you think it's had a software update @edbostan ?

Software updates are silent - you wouldn't know they'd happened as they occur when the box is in standby (unless you manually check for updates).

My guess is that you're seeing the set-up sequence.  This isn't related to a software update, and is instead caused by a factory reset of the box.  The fact that you're also losing recordings suggests that someone selected the factory reset option from the menu - is there anyone in your home who could have done this?

The other possibility is that there's a hardware fault with your box, although I've never heard of this happening.  Normally they just fail.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@DarrenDev @edbostan 

There were several reports on the YouView Community, now sadly defunct, of box behaviour where on turning it on, it would give, or be having, an issue whereby it would carry out a factory reset for itself.

I think this is a last-ditch attempt by a box that has diagnosed a problem to rescue itself; sometimes it recovers to a greater or lesser extent, as @edbostan describes, and sometimes it can’t recover, so you get the ‘just fail’ scenario.

But I think an ailing YouView box will always attempt a recovery; @DarrenDev, it may be worth you asking YouView if this is indeed the designed behaviour.

Whether you can ever quite trust a box not to do it again, once it has done this and apparently recovered, is a moot point, but one that needn’t be a consideration for those who subscribe to EE TV and can get a ready replacement 😛

Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber
Message 4 of 7

I turned off box and television  when I went to bed to find the box on (showing blue light) this morning. Turned on tv to see on screen Maintenance Reset (wish I had taken photo). The options were to do factory reset or software update. I chose the latter.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I'm pretty sure the option on that menu is software reset, not software update. It's possible that a button on the box is stuck when it rebooted, causing it to go into that mode. If it happens again, just turn off the power, tap all the physical buttons on the box and then power it on.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@edbostan 

So that’s why you think it had done a software update. But the likelihood is that it didn’t succeed, so the box was left with no choice but to do the Factory Reset anyway.

As you will no doubt have realised, that wasn’t a regular menu the box was offering you there 😢

Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

I've had it confirmed that if the flash memory on the Humax boxes has detected a corruption, it'll automatically boot to this menu. It's likely that this will become more frequent over time, as flash memory begins to fail. If your box has done this more than a couple of times, and rebooting the box just causes it to come back to this menu again, then it's likely that you'll need the box replaced.

For Sagemcom boxes, they'll detect if they failed to boot more than 3 times in a row. If you've been turning the power off and on again fast then this could cause it, but rebooting the box will then get it to try booting normally again. Again, for frequent failure, it's best you call us to get it swapped.
0 Ratings