cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

TV Box stops responding

re the standard (non-4k) recordable BT box.

I've had a problem with this box, when on, not responding at times going back quite some time - it powers up ok and plays whichever channel it's tuned to but doesn't respond to the remote or the buttons on the box itself. It's happened in a couple of different ways:

- from memory it's happened a few times when watching live TV or a recording - at some point it just stops responding and I've had to unplug the box to restart it . This has only happened rarely.

- the past few months it's had the same problem almost every time when starting from 'deep sleep' (ie not in standby mode - it works fine when starting from standby). After the 5mins or so to start up it's not responsive to the remote or any buttons on the box - I have to unplug & restart the box and often I'll have to do this 3 or 4 times before it starts responding after it's powered up.

The other day I tried restarting the router at the same time and it worked fine, but that may be a coincidence. On one occasion when  the box wasn't responsive I think I tried turning the router off and it started responding again, although I need to try this again when it next happens as I can't be sure.

Is there any known issue with the box not responding for any reason? Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: TV Box stops responding

Hi @fiddlesticks01 I'm sorry you're experiencing a problem with your BT TV box no responding. I'm not aware of any known issues why that might be happening but I would recommend a factory reset ensuring to choose the options to keep your recordings to see if that helps.

1. Switch the box off and then back on again. A red light should appear on the front panel.
  2. Press and hold the down arrow button on top of your box for five seconds until you see 'Enter Maintenance Mode Y/N' at the bottom of the screen. When you see this, press the standby/power button.
  3. After a few seconds you'll see the 'Maintenance Mode' menu. Choose and select Factory reset, keep recordings using the arrow buttons. This option will allow you to keep your recordings, scheduled recordings and any personal settings you've made to favourites and playlists.

Reply back and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi Neil,

I've done the reset - will have to see whether it makes a difference over the next few days.

The reset has caused another problem however - the EE TV App now seems to have stopped communicating changes with the recorder. When I delete recordings on the recorder itself, they remain on the Recordings list on the app and scheduling a recording on the app doesn't work - it stays as 'pending' on the app History tab a few hours after requesting it (it normally takes 15 mins or so for it to show up as Scheduled.

I've powered down and up again the recorder and uninstalled-reinstalled-re-signed into the app but that hasn't fixed it.   

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@fiddlesticks01 I'm sorry, can you delete and reinstall the EE TV app to see if that helps?

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

The pairing between  your box and the EE TV app will have been lost when the box reset was performed.  

Pairing again should cure this although  it might take upto a day for the recording/schedule  data to appear on the app.

If android

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/learn-

about-tv/tv-app/android/account-and-device-management/pairing-your-tv-box-with-the-bt-tv-app---andro...

If ios

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/learn-about-tv/tv-app/ios/account-and-device-management/pairing-your-tv-b...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Neil - thanks, I mentioned in the reply that I tried reinstalling the app. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the suggestion - it said it was still paired so I've tried unpairing and pairing again and will see whether that works

Edit: @zulu17the pairing works again now- thanks.

I'll now have to see during the week whether the factory reset has affected the original issue of the unresponsive pvr, or not. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

There is no direct connection between your TV box and your EE TV app. There is a third party in between  (eg Youview/EETV) which the box and app access. If either are reset then the other may still believe it is  still paired but a new pairing needs to occur to ensure that the data is transfered between the two (via the third party).

0 Ratings