cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

TV in Kitchen

My son has an open lounge/kitchen area and currently has a tv in the lounge fed by a BT TV box. He would like to have another tv in the kitchen area. What are the method(s) of connecting the 2nd TV to his BT TV box? (Assuming no physical wiring).
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: TV in Kitchen

@quarkrad 

I’m not sure you can assume no physical wiring 😢

But if he gets an HDMI splitter, then he can take the existing HDMI cable from it to the current TV, and another HDMI cable from it to the other TV. You can get quite long ones.

Alternatively, he might be able to send the second lot of HDMI over a WiFi transmitter to a WiFi receiver plugged into the kitchen TV.

There’s stuff that will do that on a well-known distance selling site (think South American river) but we aren’t allowed to link to it on here 😢

It may also introduce an unavoidable small delay which, if both TVs are in earshot, will manifest as a curious hollow sound, or even an echo.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Get a smart TV, login using the free app access with your subscription, if the TV comes with wi-fi then the only cable is for the power source.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

@-Richie- @quarkrad 

Yes, but will that work for recordings her son might want to play, or On Demand?

And I can’t even get Google playing Global Radio live synced across two Google devices in different rooms, unless I put them in a Group, and play them as a Group 😢

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Thank you for your replies - I haven't got BT TV myself hence I do not know much about it.  This kitchen tv will be a Smart one so am I right in thinking that if he has EE TV subscription he can also watch everything on his mobile using that subsciption?  If that is the case is one solution to Chromecast from his mobile to his kitchen TV?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

@quarkrad @-Richie- 

I believe he can use Chromecast.

The EE TV app is available on Android (e.g. Sony, Philips) and Samsung TVs, but, perhaps inexplicably, not on LG, despite their 20% share of the UK 2023 sales market being second only to Samsung.

But I was assuming from that ‘open’ that the intention was to have the kitchen TV as a repeater for the lounge one, and not operating independently, with the resulting cacophony for people midway between them. However, my mistake, perhaps 😢

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

The EE TV app is only available on Samsung smart TVs - not Android, or any other manufacturer.
The EE TV app is only for watching EE TV purchases though - subscription content is in the relevant apps (e.g. Now TV, discovery+, etc).
Message 8 of 22

@DarrenDev 

Thanks for the correction!

You might want to get somebody to look at this page then:-

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/learn-about-tv/tv-app/general/tv-on-the-go-with-the-bt-tv-app-and-online-...

and clarify what it means by Android there, since Sony have been selling Android-based TVs since 2015 and Philips have followed suit more recently, to save anybody else falling into the error I have fallen into here 😢

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

To be fair, it just says Android - not Android TV. Anyone with an Android TV will know the difference, or very quickly realise it.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

@Midnight_Voice  I believe the EE TV app

allows viewing of TNT Sports 1,2,3,and 4 ,plus Eurosport 1 and 2 if you have Sports/Big Sport or Full Works Tv pack Also Discovery  channel if you have Entertainment/Big Entertainment or Full Works TV pack. One exception here is the EE TV app on the EE  TV Youview boxes which do not offer the live channels within the app.

It also has a small  selection of catch up and on demand from those channels. Most of that on demand can also be be found on Discovery+  app often earlier and for  for longer periods  although there is some historic BT Sport content that WBD appear not to have provisioned on the Discovery+ app.

(Comprehensive catchup and ondemand of TNT sports /Eurosport and various live event streaming and live channel streaming of TNT Sport/Eurosport/and associated Discovery channels is on the Discovery+ app.)

EE TV movie/Tv program purchases and 48hr rentals can also be viewed on the EE TV app.

0 Ratings