cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Will TV Box Pro work alongside old Youview box?

Hi

I have received a TV Box Pro which is replacing an old Youview box. We still have recordings to watch on the Youview.

Is it ok to connect both at the same time? I could remove the network connection from the Youview as only need it for the recordings short term.

Please can someone advise on this?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Will TV Box Pro work alongside old Youview box?

Yes but the remote for the old box will also operate the new one. You could probably get round that by blocking the IR receiver on the new box once the BT remote has paired. Once paired, the BT remote should stop sending IR, so shouldn't interfere with the old one. It's location isn't obvious but I seem to remember it's close to the centre of the front panel. Trial & error will confirm.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

@yakyak If the recordings are from subscription channels then you will need a network connection in order to watch them. If you don’t have a multi room subscription then you can only nominate one of the boxes at a time for viewing, although you can alternate between them quite freely. If the recordings are not from subscription channels then there’s no need for a network connection on the old Youview box.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@yakyak  @Brucemeister5  

@DarrenDev  reports that you can watch existing subscription channel recordings on such as the older YouView box here without needing to nominate it over the Pro box.

I don’t know (he didn’t say) if that needs the network connection, though. It probably does.

But personally, I would keep it connected to the network anyway, even if not; all the thumbnails will go text-only with no internet connection, and the box will grumble at you incessantly to hook it back up, and there’s no downside in keeping it connected. If it’s a matter of having only one Ethernet cable run to where the boxes are, use the Pro box on WiFi for a bit, if indeed you aren’t already doing that.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Thankyou everyone. 

I will try later and keep both on and see how it goes. I am pretty sure most of the recordings are freeview channels anyway not subscription. Good idea with covering up IR receiver on new one when using old remote.

Thankyou all for the help

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@Midnight_Voice I said that recordings should still succeed even when not the current box - you definitely need it to be the current active box when watching them.

I agree though - no need to disconnect it from the network.  Both boxes can coexist without issue, but only one of them can consume subscription content at a time.

Message 7 of 9

@DarrenDev 

You did indeed; I stand corrected 😢

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@Midnight_Voice  A Network connection is definitely required in order to watch subscription channel recordings ( as you allude to, it has to be an existing subscription too ) We are unable to watch such recordings on the rare occasions that our broadband goes down and we are on the 4G hybrid EE backup.

Message 9 of 9

@yakyak @rbz5416 

An essential part of the armoury of anyone trying to use two YouView boxes in the same room in the old days was a black cloth to hang over the IR receiver of the one you weren’t using. Still is, for some of us.

The Pro box has refined this such that you can leave the black cloth in place on it, and the Pro remote will still get through by Bluetooth, something the older box won’t see.

So no need any more to move the black cloth 😛

0 Ratings