cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

viewing saved programs after adding aerial

Go to solution

Our BT TV box pro was originally set up without an aerial, so much of Freeview was unavailable. After adding aerial , it was necessary to reset(keep recordings), but now although the recordings are listed, they will not play, saying the channel has been removed, although it is still present. Any ideas how to get round this, I suspect a logical mismatch between the channel used to record and the current one in the guide.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: viewing saved programs after adding aerial

Go to solution

@Jack_M 

Switching modes (in either direction), deletes your recordings, even if you try and keep them. It requires a full factory reset.

You might need to reset again to clear any false positives.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks stereohaven . I haven't been able to login as my username is invalid despite being allowed to register!

Would you recommend a reset(delete recordings) ?

The process of switching modes doesn't seem to be very good though does it

Thanks Jack

Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Sadly, yes. Full factory reset is required to change tuner mode.

It means setting up the box from scratch again.

————————————————————-
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

You are mistaken a full factory reset is not necessary when switching modes.  The factory reset (maintenance mode) will preserve recordings  however recordings for the free to air  channels when previously  in IP mode will not be playable if you switch to aerial mode.  IP subscription channel recordings will still be playable.

Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@zulu17wrote:

You are mistaken a full factory reset is not necessary when switching modes.  The factory reset (maintenance mode) will preserve recordings  however recordings for the free to air  channels when previously  in IP mode will not be playable if you switch to aerial mode.  IP subscription channel recordings will still be playable.

Well someone needs to add that to the BT Help page then I linked to in my original response.

BT help pagesBT help pages

————————————————————-
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@JackM2 

As @zulu17 said, a full reset wasn't necessary when IP launched, but it's possible that's changed. Although duff info on the web site is at least as likely, if not more so given BT's appalling track record.

You could try switching back to IP mode while you watch the recordings, using your TV to watch any missing channels. Most modern TVs can also record to USB, but only a single channel.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
It's a little more complicated than just "will or won't work". It depends on the channel, and the protection applied to it at the point of recording. e.g. HD channels recorded from DTT channels in aerial mode won't be watchable, but SD channels should.
Thus it's easier to just say that none of the recordings are watchable, so that expectations are reasonably set.
You should just be able to delete the unwatchable recordings though - I don't think you should need to fully reset again.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to reply 

Jack 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@DarrenDev 

ITYM “HD channels recorded from IP channels” in this case, don’t you? Though knowing YouView, what you say about the reverse direction could well also be true…

But the logic of ‘protecting’ HD recordings at any level below that of the box ID/subscription status entirely escapes me, except maybe to ensure that you still can’t fast forward through the adverts on itv programmes recorded in IP mode?

I did, though, know that you could switch without a factory reset, as @zulu17 describes, and the Help instruction to always factory reset when making the switch was, due to such peculiarities, for the guidance of mavens and the obedience of non-techies 😛

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings