cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Adding BT Mail account to Microsoft Outlook

Go to solution

I am trying to add my BT Email account to Outlook.  I can find no where on the web that says this is not possible. I have followed the recognised process several times, checked the incoming and outgoing server port nos (993 and 465 respectively) in the advanced options in the Outlook mail setup process but I keep getting this error message:

"Unable to log in. Please check your outgoing server settings including server name, port, and security protocol."

My BT password is verifeid becasue I can use to access my BT Mail in My BT.

Can anyone offer advice?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Adding BT Mail account to Microsoft Outlook

Go to solution

Are you either a BT broadband customer or paying for Premium Mail? If neither, you will have been downgraded to Basic Mail which is only accessible via webmail.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
I checked the status of my BT email account. It is ‘standard’.

I should have said also that I have no problem with my BT email on my iPhone and IPad.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Have you tried setting the email account manually rather than letting Outlook set it up for you.

If you decide to do that delete the account from your device then restart the devices before using the settings in this link.

BTMail 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for replying. Delete the BT account?  It’s not yet added.   And yes I have tried adding it manually in Outlook which provides an advanced options button which opens up a more detailed form to enter the details.  In fact all the server options are already entered correctly though it does provide spaces to enter the email address & password for the outgoing server.  I presume these are the same as for the main account. 

For information, I am using Outlook on my Apple desktop.  

I wonder if there is anyone on this forum who has actually managed to run their BT Mail through Outlook.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Well, there's a surprise!  After repeated attempts to follow the required process, it finally worked.  I guess persistence pays off.  Why do they make it so difficult!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Most of the problems with email clients that are posted on this forum appear to be with the Outlook email client which which may not be surprising give Outlook's numerous users but it could indicate that the issue is with Outlook and not BT. If you ask Microsoft they blame BT and ask BT and they blame Outlook so I guess we will never know.

Personally I have used Thunderbird for many years and have set it up on numerous computers and I have never had any problems at all with it.

It might be worth considering as an alternative to Outlook if you have any further problems with it.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Sir, you have my attention. I don’t know Thunderbird at all but you have ignited my interest.  I do hope it will accommodate multiple email accounts.  I will now check it out.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

It does indeed support multiple addresses from multiple providers.

0 Ratings