cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

All gmails are also appearing in Btinternet email account inbox

Go to solution

Hi,

When setting up my wife's Android phone in the past I have somehow created a situation where emails received by her gmail account are also appearing in her btinternet account inbox. They're not being forwarded from gmail, they are appearing in my btinternet inbox but showing as having been addressed / sent to her gmail account. It is as if her btinternet account is syncing with gmail. I can't find a way to switch it off and the exercise of deleting emails from 2 inboxes is becoming tedious. This isn't just occurring on the phone (she now has a new phone), this occurs on all devices (gmail on phone, Outlook on pc, mail on iPad) so there must be a setting somewhere in the ether that has linked her gmail and btinternet accounts, but it only occurs in one direction thankfully, i.e. emails addressed to her btinternet account are not appearing in her gmail account.

Can anyone help? I have looked in the gmail forums and had a Google for solutions but can't find anything that quite matches. I have checked my own gmail and btinternet account settings and they look identical (at least to the untrained eye).
Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: All gmails are also appearing in Btinternet email account inbox

Go to solution

If you are using an email client/app it would appear that when you set up the app you have set it to check and fetch email from both the BTMail account and the gmail account.

This will cause BTMail and gmail to be checked and as you have probably set them up as IMAP accounts the emails will show on all the devices that you have set up to access the email accounts.

If this has only started since you set up her phone you need to go into the phone's email apps settings and check to see if both the email accounts are showing there, probably under the "General Settings" where it should show the accounts that the app is checking. If you don't want them both checked by that email app you should delete one of the email accounts from the app.

Then download and install another email app and set that up to access the email account that you have deleted.

Without having access to your devices obviously the above is just guess work on my part.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. To be clear, this isn't a problem in that I can see both my Btinternet.com and Gmail emails in my mail client , rather that every email sent to the Gmail address appears / is duplicated in the btinternet.com account inbox. Whether I look at the btinternet.com account in the btmail client online, in Outlook on my pc, in Gmail on my phone or in Mail on my iPad every email that is sent to the Gmail address appears as being also sent to the btinternet.com address. No forwarding is set up. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Are they duplicated when you check webmail rather than using a client/app?

I think you will need to do a process of elimination to establish which client/app is causing the problem. 

I would stop them bar one from polling for emails either by turning them of or add a digit to the email address in the settings to prevent the devices logging on, then send an email and check one device to see what happens and continue till you find the one causing the lroblem.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi,

Yes they are duplicated in webmail too.

I'll try the elimination approach, great idea, wish I had thought of that

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Scottvs and welcome to our community.

Thanks for posting about your email issue. I'd be very interested to know how this is resolved so please keep us up to date.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I tried the suggestion, or at least attempted to, but I couldn't use an incorrect email address or password as it couldn't be validated. I assume the next step will be to delete the email account from the various devices and then test and see what happens, then reinstall.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@Scottvs wrote:

I tried the suggestion, or at least attempted to, but I couldn't use an incorrect email address or password as it couldn't be validated.

Exactly, that's the whole point. It temporarily stops that device accessing the account.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

OK, have finally got round to investigating this and the process of elimination worked. It was a setting in Outlook on my wife's laptop that was copying emails received on her Gmail to a different inbox folder to the default. That folder in Outlook was set up to sync with her BT account.

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings