cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

BT Web Mail problems

Like many I've been having problems with BT Web mail for the last 10 days or so. I've looked at the other discussions but none seem to help with the problem. Please redirect if this issue has been answered elsewhere.

I'm an old-time user (20yrs+) of BT Mail, not premium. I'm used to viewing my mails on my (Safari) browser, sifting out the rubbish, checking the Spam folder and then downloading the useful stuff to my Mac. Recently, I can't get to the Web page, Safari keeps telling me "Safari can't connect to the server home.bt.com" if I use my old bookmark. I've tried to use the link https://prod-btemailauth.bt.com/... as suggested in another forum, which gets me to what looks like the old (newish) login page, but when I try to login I just get redirected back to the home.bt.com loop as described above.

This seems to be repeated for any web page hosted by bt.com. I get the same behaviour on my Windows box with Microsoft Edge, and Android phone if using Wifi. However, if I switch to phone network (turn the Wifi off) I can login to web mail.

I can still download mails to all client email apps, so it's not a total disaster, but just irritating. Also, it doesn't fill me with confidence that they won't just shut down my BT mail address completely at some point, which would be very painful.

Any ideas? Does bt just hate my (fixed) home IP address?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Web Mail problems

@neilsm 

BT residential do not issue fixed (static) IP addresses, only BT Business.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

I use Andrews and Arnold for Broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

So I did get a resolution to this, but the reasons behind it remain obscure.

The fact that I could see the webmail page on phone network but not through my wifi/ethernet led me to suspect DNS problems. Having returned from a short holiday I prepared to contact my broadband provider Andrews and Arnold to see if they had any ideas, when out of the blue the mail link I have always used started working again.

I can only assume ongoing rollout of new software on the BT servers had finally got around to including my account, but that's just a guess. It also doesn't really explain why, in addition to not being able to access web mail (which would be account specific), I couldn't see any web page at all being served up by bt.com (which presumably wouldn't).

0 Ratings