cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 29

Re: BT server not recognising password from email client

Go to solution

We are having exactly the same problem: tried multiple mail clients but they won't connect to our btinternet mail address.  Webmail works fine.

We are BT customers with Halo Broadband, BT mobile too, so should definitely have the standard mail rather than the basic mail.  Can anyone help please?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @Cycler51 I'm sorry you're having problems with your BT email, I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch with your details and we'll be happy to look into that for you.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 29

Go to solution

BT sorted our problem out when we got through to someone in the email technical dept.  Prior to that it was suggested that there was a problem with my email client (Thunderbird).  I  checked Thunderbird by creating a brand new account and password and it worked OK so it was being set up as standard.  It looks as though your accounts have either been switched to webmail or were not transferred over if you set up a new deal with BT.

Talk to someone specifically in technical, they sorted us out very quickly once we got the right dept.

Good luck,

Ian

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 29

Go to solution

Hi,

I am having a very similar, if not identical problem. I cannot send out emails using Microsoft Outlook 2016 as a client and BTinternet.com as my email service.  It used to be work but I changed my BT account password and from then on Outlook failed to connect to the outbound SMTP server to send messages  ( it can receive messages OK).   However,  if I switch off my BT home hub for short time and restart it,  then Outlook becomes able to manage messages in inbound and outbound directions.   But only for a 24 hour period, next day it has reverted to failing.

I can manage inbound and outbound emails successfully by using the BT web site or the BT app.  I am a broadband customer of BT.  But I wish to use M'soft Outlook as I always used to be able to do until March 2024.

I have spoken the BT emails support team who tell me that this is an Outlook problem and that they are powerless to help.  From what I have read in this thread I am not sure I trust that diagnosis.     I have run  scanpst.exe repairs and outlook email repairs but to no avail.

Can someone help me get this sorted, please?   JH

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 29

Go to solution

Bit of a long shot, but try unticking the option in the SMTP settings to use the same credentials as the incoming service and enter the credentials manually for SMTP.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 29

Go to solution

Thank you for the suggestion.   Sadly, it makes no difference.   I tried that a while ago and still the same result.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 29

Go to solution

Was the email address you have set up on your current BT Broadband account or have you at any time since setting it up left BT Broadband and subsequently returned at a later date?

Have you checked in your MyBT > "Your Products" > "Email, Manage" to see that your "Account Type" of email is showing as "Standard" and that the email account is showing as one of your accounts?

To try and establish where the problem may lie have you tried a different email client such as Thunderbird or BlueMail to see if the problem is with Outlook?

Have you tried the sledge hammer option of uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook? 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks for your response.   I have been with btinternet.com  for many years so no, I have not ceased and restarted it.  

My service type is 'Standard'.

I have not tried another email client but I will do so soon!

I have Office 2016 which I bought from BT when I was in its employment!  I have reinstalled it a few times because it seems Office 365  code curiously gets installed when or if an 'Office repair  routine or even a Microsoft update is implemented.   At the moment however it is pure Office 2016.  But reinstallation alone does not fix the issue.

I am convinced that as  Outlook does not change configuration on my device between when SMTP is working until it is not working  (my PC is shut down in that period),  so therefore the disruptive change in status seems as though it must be elsewhere, and Outlook itself seems not to be to blame.  It seems as if the DCHP IP address generated by the home-hub (BT Smarthub 2) has a significant bearing on whether the client - server link is correctly functioning for SMTP, and that it times out after a period.   After that happens I assume that mail.btinternet.com refuses to accept a transmission from my Outlook >> HomeHub>> Btinternet.com server virtual circuit loop.

It's a pain and I do appreciate your helpful suggestions.    >>>>   Thank you again.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 29

Go to solution

It really is the weirdest of problems with a router reset restoring SMTP service.

Another long shot. Try giving your device a static IP address outside of the DHCP range of the hub directly on your network adapter.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 29

Go to solution

Today when my Outlook was not sending mail I loaded and tried to send with Thunderbird as you suiggested.  It also failed and produced a send message error which read,

" Sending of the message failed.

0 Ratings